Stanford Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
wrkrb

New

Re: Stanford Class of 2017

Post by wrkrb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:57 am

Housing application is live :)

New

Post by 92653 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:54 am

wrkrb wrote:Housing application is live :)
Do they have to have processed your deposit first?

(Btw, hello folks :) )

Noodlebrain

New

Post by Noodlebrain » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 am

I think my housing application went through before my deposit check was cashed. I had my stanford email though if that matters.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:51 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote: Speaking of Stanford's aid, there is a pretty good idea of what HLS' max grant is for a person without dependents, does anyone know what SLS' max is?
Did anyone know the answer to this question? I'm really interested as well.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Hey everyone, congrats on your accomplishments this cycle! Once you've decided on a school, make your way over to the TLS Class of 2017 thread http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8&t=227952 to let everyone know where you're going.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:22 pm

Is your email working on gmail? I can only get it on Zimbra...

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:44 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote: Speaking of Stanford's aid, there is a pretty good idea of what HLS' max grant is for a person without dependents, does anyone know what SLS' max is?
Did anyone know the answer to this question? I'm really interested as well.
Anecdotal evidence points to ~43k but that hasn't been confirmed by Stanford.

Poison

New

Post by Poison » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 am

I mailed in my tuition deposit last week! I'm excited to meet you all this fall!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Poison wrote:I mailed in my tuition deposit last week! I'm excited to meet you all this fall!
Congrats on sealing the deal! :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 pm

OK, answered my own question: law school email doesn't get gmail access (boo!)

jimbeam21

New

Post by jimbeam21 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
blckwsl wrote:Just heard back from HLS. They refused to increase my grant and told me that financial considerations should not be the most important factor. They also attached a long piece about their LIPP program (which doesn't help me at all, since I want big law).

Thanks Harvard. :roll:
That stinks, :? At least you tried though, no harm no foul.

Speaking of Stanford's aid, there is a pretty good idea of what HLS' max grant is for a person without dependents, does anyone know what SLS' max is?
Let's do some math!

From my understanding of both school's fin aid, fellowship/grant = COA-self help-student contribution-parent contribution.

The COA Stanford uses for grant eligibility is $78,924. I called and asked for this figure. For loan eligibility, they use $84,987. If you want to know why they use a different figure for grant eligibility than loan eligibility, PM me.

The COA Harvard uses for grant eligibility is $81,900, the same figure they use for loan eligibility.

Stanford's self-help figure is $40,000. Harvard's is $44,300.

So, if your parental contribution is $0, and your own contribution is $0, then the max aid you'd get from each school is:
Stanford: $78,924-$40,000 = $38,924.
Harvard: $81,900-$44,300 = $37,600.

Now, assuming you can somehow prove to either school that your true COA is greater than the figure they used in calculating your grant, you may be able to get more money.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:17 pm

jimbeam21 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
blckwsl wrote:Just heard back from HLS. They refused to increase my grant and told me that financial considerations should not be the most important factor. They also attached a long piece about their LIPP program (which doesn't help me at all, since I want big law).

Thanks Harvard. :roll:
That stinks, :? At least you tried though, no harm no foul.

Speaking of Stanford's aid, there is a pretty good idea of what HLS' max grant is for a person without dependents, does anyone know what SLS' max is?
Let's do some math!

From my understanding of both school's fin aid, fellowship/grant = COA-self help-student contribution-parent contribution.

The COA Stanford uses for grant eligibility is $78,924. I called and asked for this figure. For loan eligibility, they use $84,987. If you want to know why they use a different figure for grant eligibility than loan eligibility, PM me.

The COA Harvard uses for grant eligibility is $81,900, the same figure they use for loan eligibility.

Stanford's self-help figure is $40,000. Harvard's is $44,300.

So, if your parental contribution is $0, and your own contribution is $0, then the max aid you'd get from each school is:
Stanford: $78,924-$40,000 = $38,924.
Harvard: $81,900-$44,300 = $37,600.

Now, assuming you can somehow prove to either school that your true COA is greater than the figure they used in calculating your grant, you may be able to get more money.
Thanks for sharing, though I wouldn't discount variations in circumstances, I do know someone who received over 40k (no children) from Stanford this cycle with no appeal or anything above the normal documentation.

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:44 am

Set on Stanford! So excited to meet you all next fall!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:48 pm

whippersnappery wrote:Set on Stanford! So excited to meet you all next fall!
Congrats! :)

Poison

New

Post by Poison » Sat May 03, 2014 8:47 am

thewaves wrote:OK, answered my own question: law school email doesn't get gmail access (boo!)
The entire university is moving to a gmail interface ... undergrads and some grad programs (like the business school) have already moved over but the law school hasn't yet. You can set your stanford.edu account to forward to an existing gmail account by following the instructions on this page http://answers.stanford.edu/solution/ca ... dar-system

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sat May 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Withdrew the other day, definitely the roughest decision of my cycle but it made sense based on personal circumstances. Best of luck SLS c/o 2017 :D

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Thu May 15, 2014 11:49 am

Let's get some movement in here! I'm excited! Does anyone else keep looking at the weather compared to wherever they're living now and think "yesssss"?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gma221

Bronze

Post by gma221 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 pm

whippersnappery wrote:Let's get some movement in here!
How 'bout some speculation about why this thread is dead? I think I remember someone saying that last year's was the same. Does Stanford draw a different crowd? Is TLS just too high-strung? Interesting that the Facebook group is pretty active in comparison.

P.S. I'm excited, too. :D

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Fri May 16, 2014 9:05 am

gma221 wrote:
How 'bout some speculation about why this thread is dead? I think I remember someone saying that last year's was the same. Does Stanford draw a different crowd? Is TLS just too high-strung? Interesting that the Facebook group is pretty active in comparison.

Maybe it's a combination of not that many people and Stanford people are too chill to post here? Yeah, the Facebook group is active, though the number of people in it keeps dropping. I think it was in the low 130s last time I checked.

teampeeta

Bronze

Post by teampeeta » Fri May 16, 2014 9:45 am

whippersnappery wrote:
gma221 wrote:

Maybe it's a combination of not that many people and Stanford people are too chill to post here? Yeah, the Facebook group is active, though the number of people in it keeps dropping. I think it was in the low 130s last time I checked.
Maybe they'll admit a non-negligible number of people from the WL then. Here's hoping anyway!

gma221

Bronze

Post by gma221 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 pm

What did you all choose for housing? I included five options on my app -- first three EV, last two Munger. I'm really hoping for something in the new Kennedy building.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Fri May 16, 2014 5:17 pm

gma221 wrote:What did you all choose for housing? I included five options on my app -- first three EV, last two Munger. I'm really hoping for something in the new Kennedy building.
I put Kennedy first, then Munger, then the rest of the EV. I like EV better for cost, but Munger is so darn nice! Kennedy would be a good balance.

Do you know when we start getting information about sections/classes/etc?

Teampeeta-- it looks promising! Don't give up hope. I bet a bunch of you will be in Palo Alto this fall. :D

wrkrb

New

Post by wrkrb » Fri May 16, 2014 6:20 pm

whippersnappery wrote:
gma221 wrote:What did you all choose for housing? I included five options on my app -- first three EV, last two Munger. I'm really hoping for something in the new Kennedy building.
I put Kennedy first, then Munger, then the rest of the EV. I like EV better for cost, but Munger is so darn nice! Kennedy would be a good balance.

Teampeeta-- it looks promising! Don't give up hope. I bet a bunch of you will be in Palo Alto this fall. :D

I went with all munger - hoping to be super close 1L but definitely have my eye on Kennedy for 2L!

gma221

Bronze

Post by gma221 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:16 pm

whippersnappery wrote: I put Kennedy first, then Munger, then the rest of the EV. I like EV better for cost, but Munger is so darn nice! Kennedy would be a good balance.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking re: Kennedy, too. I'm sure we weren't the only ones. I'll probably end up in an EV studio, which I've heard aren't the greatest. :cry:

I haven't heard anything about sections/classes. Stanford seems a little slow with information, though, so I'm not expecting anything soon.

Re: sections, I noticed on the 2013-14 course schedule on the website that for each course some sections have 30 students while others have 60. For example, for contracts, section 1 has 60 people and the rest have 30. Anyone know why?

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Sat May 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Yeah, someone mentioned it at ASW: most classes are two sections combined. So, if you are in Section A, you might have Contacts with Section B, Civ Pro with section C, etc. But one (maybe more?) classes each quarter are smaller, just your section. I think that class varies between sections, so A might have a small Torts, B might have a small Contracts, but I'm not totally sure on that last point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”