Cornell Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Lavitz

Gold

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Post by Lavitz » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:51 pm

akg144 wrote:Yes, Country Inn & Suites - great customer review ratings across the board - great work out facilities, pool etc. and offers a free shuttle to and from the airport on demand - pretty sweet deal for just $70/night on hotels.com (marked down from $117 on other sites) i'm psyched

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Of Ithaca
Hotel contact details
1100 Danby Rd
Ithaca
New York
United States
+16072561100
I'm assuming the shuttle will take you to the law school as well, because that place is far. Looks like a great deal if they do though.

I think most people stay at the Best Western, Holiday Inn, or Hilton Garden Inn. Maybe the Statler if you have the money. There should be a bunch of places with amenities and price ranges listed in the Ithaca guide they sent you.

Can't really recommend anything personally. I stayed at the Hillside Inn, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're driving yourself and you don't mind sketchy places.
OliveBC wrote:How quickly does housing in Hughes go? Should I apply now to make sure I get a spot even if I'm not positive yet that I'm going to end up at Cornell?
It depends on the year. It went pretty fast last year, like late-April.

The thing is, you won't get an assignment until you submit your first seat deposit anyway. You'll get the assignment a few weeks after they receive the seat deposit, and then you'll have two weeks to decide whether to accept it. So there's really no harm in applying now. But it also may not help that much since I think it mostly goes by who submitted the seat deposit first, although I assume when assigning people who submitted the seat deposit around the same time, preference would go to whoever applied for housing first.

In either case, even if you do get shut out at first, there will definitely be vacancies opening up throughout the summer. If you stay on the waitlist long enough, you're pretty much bound to get it. When we arrived, we had at least one or two vacancies in female suites, and I know someone who got into Hughes even though he was admitted off reserve in late July.

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:53 pm

OliveBC wrote:How quickly does housing in Hughes go? Should I apply now to make sure I get a spot even if I'm not positive yet that I'm going to end up at Cornell?
It depends on the year. It went pretty fast last year, like late-April.

The thing is, you won't get an assignment until you submit your first seat deposit anyway. You'll get the assignment a few weeks after they receive the seat deposit, and then you'll have two weeks to decide whether to accept it. So there's really no harm in applying now. But it also may not help that much since I think it mostly goes by who submitted the seat deposit first, although I assume when assigning people who submitted the seat deposit around the same time, preference would go to whoever applied for housing first.

In either case, even if you do get shut out at first, there will definitely be vacancies opening up throughout the summer. If you stay on the waitlist long enough, you're pretty much bound to get it. When we arrived, we had at least one or two vacancies in female suites, and I know someone who got into Hughes even though he was admitted off reserve in late July.
Thanks Lavitz! That is exactly what I needed to know, guess I will go ahead and apply then :)

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Decided to apply for housing in Hughes in case I attend Cornell. Some people say it's too stressful to live with a bunch of other law students, but I thought it'd be reassuring to be around people who are going through the same struggle.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Decided to apply for housing in Hughes in case I attend Cornell. Some people say it's too stressful to live with a bunch of other law students, but I thought it'd be reassuring to be around people who are going through the same struggle.
Yeah, I am thinking the same thing.

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Decided to apply for housing in Hughes in case I attend Cornell. Some people say it's too stressful to live with a bunch of other law students, but I thought it'd be reassuring to be around people who are going through the same struggle.
I would say that was my reasoning too, but really I just want to be able to go to class in winter without having to put on 20 layers and snow shoes :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:15 pm

OliveBC wrote:
I would say that was my reasoning too, but really I just want to be able to go to class in winter without having to put on 20 layers and snow shoes :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:52 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
OliveBC wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know right? Hughes being connected to the law school is actually very appealing to me. Plus the fact that it's so easy to go home after a long night in the library (haven't done that since moving farther off-campus).

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:23 pm

If anyone wants non-Hughes related advice about housing or other Cornell questions answered from another point of view, I'm happy to field questions in addition to Lavitz. I'm another 1L and live in Collegetown Terrace which is arguably the best balance between distance/price/quality. I'll watch this thread or feel free to PM me.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:32 pm

toothbrush wrote:If anyone wants non-Hughes related advice about housing or other Cornell questions answered from another point of view, I'm happy to field questions in addition to Lavitz. I'm another 1L and live in Collegetown Terrace which is arguably the best balance between distance/price/quality. I'll watch this thread or feel free to PM me.
When is the best time to apply for housing at Collegetown Terrace? I am hoping to visit the law school in April before making a firm decision. Is that considered too late to secure housing there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:52 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
toothbrush wrote:If anyone wants non-Hughes related advice about housing or other Cornell questions answered from another point of view, I'm happy to field questions in addition to Lavitz. I'm another 1L and live in Collegetown Terrace which is arguably the best balance between distance/price/quality. I'll watch this thread or feel free to PM me.
When is the best time to apply for housing at Collegetown Terrace? I am hoping to visit the law school in April before making a firm decision. Is that considered too late to secure housing there?
I didn't visit until ~June/July and that's when I found my apartment that I signed. It's by no means a "bad one" either. I know that they're having trouble filling apartments for next year because they just constructed the final building in their 5 year plan (it's a huge new building opening in August). I don't believe that they were at capacity this year with the new 106 building, so I imagine there is PLENTY of housing available even through the summer for this year This also means they're cutting prices (from what I hear)...

I'm not offering to host people during ASW but if you want to check out the indoors of the complex (gym, mail, new buildings, yoga room, massage parlor) and my studio feel free to PM me to set something up.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:54 am

I'm interested. How long does it take to get to the law school, and could you help us get a general idea of pricing? Thanks!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:30 am

Yea All Right wrote:
I'm interested. How long does it take to get to the law school, and could you help us get a general idea of pricing? Thanks!
To begin, here's their (new) website that gives a decent representation of what to offer. http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/bui ... e.php?id=1

My general advice is if you're cool doing a 2BR, you should. It'd run you each ~1k and you get a ton of space for that value. Second, mostly everything up here is egregiously expensive if you live near the law school. That said, studios run from 1200-1600. 1BR from 1400-1800. 2BR for 1800-~2200. Not really sure. Like I said, I think there's room to negotiate prices because they are cutting their prices because they can't fill the rooms and they're opening a new apartment.

Also, they have new mini studios (kitchenette, no laundry in room) at around ~250sq ft for sub 1k that actually look pretty nice,

About getting to school. It's a 10-15 min walk (up a hill). However, there is a shuttle that everyone takes. It picks up in two locations and drops off in two locations (law school, hotel school). The shuttle starts at 7:30 and runs every twenty minutes until 12:30 (so every :10, :30, :50). It then has pick ups at like 1255, 130, 2xx.. And becomes more regular from 3-5. I never take it in the afternoon.

It takes 3-5 minutes to get to school that way. There is also Ithaca TCAT busses that have a stop across the street that take an equal amount of time and are equally convenient. Remember, all 1L's get a free year of TCAT bus usage.

Sorry for rant. Hope that helps.
Last edited by toothbrush on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks for the post toothbrush! Not a rant at all, helped a lot! I will definitely look into this option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Checking in, and thanks for the info, Toothbrush! I'm very interested in non-Hughes living (convenience be damned, they'd have to drag me kicking and screaming into something dorm-like), so it was very helpful.

Tariffs

New

Post by Tariffs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:44 am

Checking in. I'm a current undergrad at Cornell living in Collegetown and am a 5 minute walk from the law school. I'm also a recent admit and still considering staying in Ithaca for the next 3 years. If anyone has any questions about Ithaca or Cornell as a whole feel free to PM me. Currently planning on attending the ASW March 7 but will probably stop by both since I have nothing better to do as a second semester senior. If anyone would like to grab lunch or drinks while they're here feel free to PM me as well.

ETA: That picture of Taughannock in the OP is awesome, probably my favorite trail to hike in the area especially in Winter when the waterfall is frozen. Watkins Glen is also incredible but it's a little over an hour away.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:51 am

Tariffs wrote:considering staying in Ithaca for the next 3 years.
masochist :lol:

Tariffs

New

Post by Tariffs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:54 am

toothbrush wrote:
Emphasis on considering, but in all honesty my past 4 years here have been the best of my life. That plus the fact that Cornell has an incredible law school makes it an attractive option for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vicpin5190

Silver

Post removed.

Post by vicpin5190 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:56 am

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:59 am

Tariffs wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Emphasis on considering, but in all honesty my past 4 years here have been the best of my life. That plus the fact that Cornell has an incredible law school makes it an attractive option for me.
Just PMd you.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:00 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:So I just found out there's a Diversity ASW (the 2nd ASW). Wish I had known this before I booked a flight and hotel a few weeks back.....
Oh wow. You didn't get the email from Hope??

vicpin5190

Silver

Post removed.

Post by vicpin5190 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akg144

Bronze

Post by akg144 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:22 am

Has anyone received scholarship information yet? If not, has anyone heard from the adcomm's when merit scholarship's will be offered?

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:44 pm

akg144 wrote:Has anyone received scholarship information yet? If not, has anyone heard from the adcomm's when merit scholarship's will be offered?
I haven't heard anything from the school yet. Lavitz mentioned a page earlier that they come in March. I'm expecting to hear from NU and GULC during the first week of March, so that time frame seems pretty standard.

akg144

Bronze

Post by akg144 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:09 am

K so early March is the typical time period - can anyone else confirm that?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:17 am

Since you're all talking about housing. I lived in a really nice apt downtown with two roommates that cost $500/month and was nicer than anything in ctown. It took me 10-15 minutes to walk home at night. And I had a lot of fun for the money I saved. Just so you guys know it's not ctown or bust. Plus you avoid the frattastic scene that is ctown on a Friday night. (No offense to the fratstars in the thread.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”