Georgetown Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What seems be your hardest class?

Ks
5%
Civ Pro
35%
Torts
10%
Con Law
5%
Crim
No votes
LRW
10%
I'm in §3...
35%

Total votes: 20

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Section 1 here.
Does anyone get why constitutional law is marked as '12 and '13? I assume they're subsections but dunno which I'm in

uncreative

New

Post by uncreative » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:21 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Section 1 here.
Does anyone get why constitutional law is marked as '12 and '13? I assume they're subsections but dunno which I'm in
I'm in a different section but have the same thing for Torts. I think that is going to be the small section course and which one we're in isn't determined until registration.

ldlamb

New

Post by ldlamb » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Section 1 as well.
Theres also an '11 on T/Th afternoons.

It is the smaller section class. They make it seem like we won't know until orientation which one we are in.

Here is the quote from the webpage.

"Your schedule of classes for Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 will include class days and times, exam dates, and the names of your professors. Your small section assignments for your Legal Research and Writing class and your Constitutional Law I class will be distributed at your Registration Session."

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Did Georgetown offer you guys decent money? Its in my top 2 schools that I'm applying to in December. I got a 3.3 and a 168 (taking the lsat again shooting for a 170). But simply put, I can't afford 70k COA every year unless they give me a great scholly... I know some schools are so stingy about it but I'm wondering (hope fully its not coming across as rude...) HOW ARE YOU GUYS AFFORDING THAT haha

Knstr2012

New

Post by Knstr2012 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:55 pm

ldlamb wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:Seems like GULC is the TLS lurker school.
That might be partially directed at me.
I am a little bit older, so i didn't grow up carrying on message board conversations with people I've never met.

But........ i am very glad its here, so I can find out when new information is available.

So, yes I am a proud lurker.

Another lurker here! So far I've just been floundering through the law school process.. Never feeling like I know as much as I should (which is why I don't post but lurk). :oops: I do appreciate all the info I get from the posters here though!

Also, anyone else in section 5?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crimson34

New

Post by crimson34 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:07 pm

I am section 5 as well

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:08 pm

ldlamb wrote:
Section 1 as well.
Theres also an '11 on T/Th afternoons.

It is the smaller section class. They make it seem like we won't know until orientation which one we are in.

Here is the quote from the webpage.

"Your schedule of classes for Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 will include class days and times, exam dates, and the names of your professors. Your small section assignments for your Legal Research and Writing class and your Constitutional Law I class will be distributed at your Registration Session."
Thanks. Out of town for a wedding so trying to read through all this stuff on my phone

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:10 pm

choward014 wrote:I'm wondering (hope fully its not coming across as rude...) HOW ARE YOU GUYS AFFORDING THAT haha
Scholly (had your exact same numbers btw) plus veterans benefits plus working spouse. Definitely advise you also apply to Cornell for negotiation purposes

ldlamb

New

Post by ldlamb » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:47 pm

choward014 wrote:Did Georgetown offer you guys decent money? Its in my top 2 schools that I'm applying to in December. I got a 3.3 and a 168 (taking the lsat again shooting for a 170). But simply put, I can't afford 70k COA every year unless they give me a great scholly... I know some schools are so stingy about it but I'm wondering (hope fully its not coming across as rude...) HOW ARE YOU GUYS AFFORDING THAT haha
My numbers are similar as well. (169, 3.0)

I ended up getting essentially a 3 years for the price of 2 scholarship on the tuition.

I did have to do a small amount of negotiating to get that.

As for how i can afford it, similar to spanish main, i have help. 10 years in the workforce and a wife that does pretty good. So my debt at the end, while still more than I'd like, isn't anything too outrageous.

So unless you can get a successful wife pronto, the higher LSAT would probably be your best option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knstr2012

New

Post by Knstr2012 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:05 pm

crimson34 wrote:I am section 5 as well
The sections mean we have the same schedule of classes but not necessarily the same profs right?

uncreative

New

Post by uncreative » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 pm

Knstr2012 wrote:
The sections mean we have the same schedule of classes but not necessarily the same profs right?
For the two fixed classes in your schedule, yes. The others two are split.

Knstr2012

New

Post by Knstr2012 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:43 pm

uncreative wrote:
Knstr2012 wrote:
For the two fixed classes in your schedule, yes. The others two are split.
Ahhh I get it now - hence the assignments at registration. Thanks!

awoodard

New

Post by awoodard » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:19 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
choward014 wrote:I'm wondering (hope fully its not coming across as rude...) HOW ARE YOU GUYS AFFORDING THAT haha
Scholly (had your exact same numbers btw) plus veterans benefits plus working spouse. Definitely advise you also apply to Cornell for negotiation purposes
+1. The scholly process for Georgetown is a little odd, but they are open to negotiation, and especially generous if you bring a killer number to the table or an interesting soft. Blanket their peer schools for negotiation purposes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:44 am

Section 2 here.

It's interesting how similar a few of us are on paper. I'm very close to the same scores as the other guys above (within one LSAT point and also a sub 3.5, but not by much) and I'm 10 years out of undergrad as well. Shame I'm not in your sections, as it would be nice to make some friends with some common ground, but I'm sure we'll cross paths sooner or later.

To the poster asking about scholly money: plan to aggressively work for the money, and if you are a compelling candidate in any way, I assume you'll get some. You may have to come right out and ask GULC to consider you, but it's worth the effort. My best advice is to cast a wide net so that you have the best options possible for negotiations down the road. That includes schools lower in the T20, and some even below that. You start negotiating for as much as possible with the lower ranked schools and work your way up the chain. It doesn't always work out the way you plan it, but some calculated hustle goes a long way. My cycle took a weird turn when UCLA wouldn't negotiate at all and offered me basically nothing, so it was surprisingly to actually get a solid chunk of change from GULC after that. The process can be fickle, so it's good to have options.

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:51 am

Oh, and how I'm paying for it: scholly + savings + smart wife who will hopefully someday find employment in DC + some smallish degree of loans down the road.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 am

My biggest fear is attending and being stuck with a debt of like 150-175k. Is that average for georgetown or schools of this quality?

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:08 am

choward014 wrote:My biggest fear is attending and being stuck with a debt of like 150-175k. Is that average for georgetown or schools of this quality?
If you attend most any school at sticker, excepting maybe some state schools with reasonable in-state tuition, you could be looking at significantly higher debt than that--some schools can get up around 300k (thinking Columbia), which is a bad idea 100% of the time. Figure living expenses plus tuition with (essentially) zero income. You want to do everything in your power to secure as much merit aid as possible, which means maximizing your LSAT score and doing your best to craft a compelling application. Sounds like you're already on the right track, though, so keep up that enthusiasm and crush your retake!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:27 am

Great words of wisdom glasseyes! I would have said pretty much the same thing.

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:00 am

Is that true about the 100 transfer students or just an assumption based in previous class sizes? LST has the class statistics at 645 graduating in the class of 2013, with the incoming class that year (class of 2016) at 545. This is in keeping with almost every other school which has shrunk it's class in the past few years to maintain medians and school rank, as well as boost employment numbers. If that's true about the transfers, I'm curious where you all heard it.

uncreative

New

Post by uncreative » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:08 am

Glasseyes wrote:Is that true about the 100 transfer students or just an assumption based in previous class sizes? LST has the class statistics at 645 graduating in the class of 2013, with the incoming class that year (class of 2016) at 545. This is in keeping with almost every other school which has shrunk it's class in the past few years to maintain medians and school rank, as well as boost employment numbers. If that's true about the transfers, I'm curious where you all heard it.
They took in 122 last year
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... Report.pdf (page 2 - top right)

InvalidUsername

New

Post by InvalidUsername » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:23 am

Section 5 also

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CknNgtz

New

Post by CknNgtz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:43 am

InvalidUsername wrote:
Section 5 also
Ditto
awoodard wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
+1. The scholly process for Georgetown is a little odd, but they are open to negotiation, and especially generous if you bring a killer number to the table or an interesting soft. Blanket their peer schools for negotiation purposes.
Agree with everything that has been said above, but to break the trend, I'm K-JD and GULC gave me the biggest scholly. So don't worry about it at the moment and definitely plan on negotiating with peer schools--the scholarship/negotiation process can be a bit unpredictable throughout. You never know what they value or might be looking to add to the class and you would just be losing out if you don't try.

InvalidUsername

New

Post by InvalidUsername » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:57 am

CknNgtz wrote:
InvalidUsername wrote:
Section 5 also
Ditto
awoodard wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Agree with everything that has been said above, but to break the trend, I'm K-JD and GULC gave me the biggest scholly. So don't worry about it at the moment and definitely plan on negotiating with peer schools--the scholarship/negotiation process can be a bit unpredictable throughout. You never know what they value or might be looking to add to the class and you would just be losing out if you don't try.
Likewise. I took two years off between college and law school. Applied to GULC early decision (so much for negotiation...), and still got a pretty significant merit scholly

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 pm

Hey, wasn't our fall bill supposed to be posted today? Is it not there or am I just too dumb to find it?

uncreative

New

Post by uncreative » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:33 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Hey, wasn't our fall bill supposed to be posted today? Is it not there or am I just too dumb to find it?
I thought I had read 7/2 somewhere also, but this site says 7/8.

http://studentaccounts.georgetown.edu/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”