Lunch Interview with Judge/Clerks Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Lunch Interview with Judge/Clerks

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:35 pm

So last week I had a phone interview with a D. Ct. judge and his clerks (I'm working on the West Coast and he's on the East, so he offered to conduct it via phone to save me the trouble). I felt like it went decently well, and soon after the interview ended, his chambers contacted me to see if I would be willing to get lunch with the judge and his clerks when I get back home--where his chambers is--in two weeks.

Obviously, no offer yet, but does anyone want to take a stab at what this means? All I'm comfortable concluding is that it means I didn't scare anyone away, but have other people had this experience? Is it common enough that I shouldn't read into it too much? My sense is that a lunch format with clerks would leave almost no room to assess things like knowledge of substantive law or organizational skills, but would be pretty much entirely about assessing my personality and the elusive "fit."

Thoughts?

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Lunch Interview with Judge/Clerks

Post by lavarman84 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:06 pm

Read good things into it.

New

Post by 20181989 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:13 pm

And do not assume it's fit only. Lawyers interested in the law will probably expect you to display interest in the law, and to have smart questions to ask.

themisjuly19help

New

Post by themisjuly19help » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:42 am

Prepare as you would for any other interview but maybe have some extra filler/interesting non-legal things to talk about. As always, follow their lead. And eat something neat/comparatively inexpensive. Especially if the judge pays.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”