Opportunities after NJ Superior Clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
yeltrah

New

Opportunities after NJ Superior Clerkship?

Post by yeltrah » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi all. I'm curious if anyone can speak to the opportunities they pursued and received after doing a clerkship in NJ Superior Court. What was that process like, do you think your clerkship was helpful or hurtful getting a job? Thanks in advance.

Bodhicaryavatara

Bronze

Re: Opportunities after NJ Superior Clerkship?

Post by Bodhicaryavatara » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Also curious! Incoming clerk here.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:06 pm

I don't have direct experience - but I do know fellow law school classmates who clerked in NJ state court. A lot tend to end up working as a deputy in the NJ's Attorney General's office. The AG's office in NJ has a large law department and tends to have a decent amount of openings (I know it recently had a large hiring spree). If you happen to have a clerkship in the appellate division, your chances of ending at a medium-sized firm are greater.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:54 am

Direct experience here. To echo what was stated above most people end up going to the AG's office. But most people end up in small firms, some people end up in mid sized firms. I'll be heading to a mid sized firm after my clerkship. Pay is good >110K so it counts for something. Was it helpful? Not really. When applying most of the firms in the NJ market want several years of experience despite the clerkship (at least 3-5), so if you do a NJ superior court clerkship EXPECTING to land a mid size law firm job making over 100K the road will be tough just know that, but it is not impossible. You will have to grind and network your ass off. My best advice is to clerk in a county that has the kind of law firms you would want to work for. (Essex, Middlesex, etc.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”