Movement Today Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Movement Today

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:also other D. Mass. judges besides Saris and Saylor?
Sorokin and Young have moved.
Anonymous User wrote:Lynch and Barron are almost done hiring. Kayatta, Thompson, and Boudin have moved/extended offers.
Seyla has also moved/offered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news on Maine judges? also other D. Mass. judges besides Saris and Saylor?
Torresen is done for 2020. No idea for Levy/Singal

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:40 pm

To current clerks, would an application still be considered if submitted today or tomorrow?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from D. Maryland, S.D. Texas, or D. Nevada?
I've been told Ellison and Bennett have extended interviews. Lake has hired.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Any movement in C.D Cal.? Total radio silence here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement in C.D Cal.? Total radio silence here.
Selna, Staton, Kronstadt, Bernal, and Gutierrez have extended interview invites

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Any word on D. NH?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement in C.D Cal.? Total radio silence here.
Selna, Staton, Kronstadt, Bernal, and Gutierrez have extended interview invites
^^ anon from above. I should clarify that I didn't mean to imply that they're finished with interview invites. Have no idea where they are in that process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on D. NH?
Only one I'm aware of that's fully hired for 2020 is Barbadoro.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:42 pm

Any word on D. Conn. besides Bryant?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Any movement in E.D. Va.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:15 pm

Any word on movement in D. Nev., D. Ariz., or E.D. Mich.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To current clerks, would an application still be considered if submitted today or tomorrow?
Oh yes, 100 percent! I know it seems like everything is moving a million miles an hour but there are tons of judges out there still sorting through the process. I'm the CA9 anon who's posted in this thread a few times, and I can tell you that while most of the court is actively interviewing and several have made at least one offer, I haven't heard of any judges who have hired 4 clerks since Monday. We are in the middle of several interviews but if a can't-miss app hit our inbox tomorrow we'd be on it immediately.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To current clerks, would an application still be considered if submitted today or tomorrow?
Oh yes, 100 percent! I know it seems like everything is moving a million miles an hour but there are tons of judges out there still sorting through the process. I'm the CA9 anon who's posted in this thread a few times, and I can tell you that while most of the court is actively interviewing and several have made at least one offer, I haven't heard of any judges who have hired 4 clerks since Monday. We are in the middle of several interviews but if a can't-miss app hit our inbox tomorrow we'd be on it immediately.
This is assuring because, despite sending all my materials to my school's clerkship office June 1, they didn't send out my paper apps until today.

This whole process has revealed to me the vast gulfs in the quality of some schools' clerkship offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:51 am

if an application on Oscar has expired, should we withdraw immediately? If any current clerks can talk to how it works on their end.

If we withdraw, will our application disappear from your system, even if you saw it already? Does the expiration on Oscar mean that a chambers has considered all the applications? I don't want to withdraw an application that expired if the chambers was considering giving me an interview, and then they see i withdrew my application, and then they assume i'm not interested anymore.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:if an application on Oscar has expired, should we withdraw immediately? If any current clerks can talk to how it works on their end.

If we withdraw, will our application disappear from your system, even if you saw it already? Does the expiration on Oscar mean that a chambers has considered all the applications? I don't want to withdraw an application that expired if the chambers was considering giving me an interview, and then they see i withdrew my application, and then they assume i'm not interested anymore.

If I am understanding your question correctly, the correct response is often to just contact chambers and ask them if they are still considering applications. I am not sure why you would withdraw?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:08 am

HillandHollow wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:if an application on Oscar has expired, should we withdraw immediately? If any current clerks can talk to how it works on their end.

If I am understanding your question correctly, the correct response is often to just contact chambers and ask them if they are still considering applications. I am not sure why you would withdraw?
Sorry for the way I worded this but you understood what I'm asking. I ask because I am at the 100 spot limit on Oscar, and I would withdraw so I could free up a spot, especially if a judge has already picked his interviewees and (understandably) hasn't updated Oscar because of how busy this time of the year is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:11 am

I’m assuming because there’s a limit on the total number of applications, and if you withdraw one you can submit to a new judge?

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry for the way I worded this but you understood what I'm asking. I ask because I am at the 100 spot limit on Oscar, and I would withdraw so I could free up a spot, especially if a judge has already picked his interviewees and (understandably) hasn't updated Oscar because of how busy this time of the year is.
Oh, then yeah, just call and ask (or email, if that seems better).

notorious_mig

Bronze

Post by notorious_mig » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:01 am

Quick question: when I update an application in OSCAR, does the judge (and/or his/her clerks) see it? i.e., is there any change on the judge's end, or does it just still read as "finalized" or whatever?

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:26 am

notorious_mig wrote:Quick question: when I update an application in OSCAR, does the judge (and/or his/her clerks) see it? i.e., is there any change on the judge's end, or does it just still read as "finalized" or whatever?

When you update something, your app status changes from Finalized to Updated, and all we see is something like this:
"Writing Sample (Updated 05/8/2019 08:59 am)" and the "Writing Sample" part is a link to the document.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 am

HillandHollow wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:Quick question: when I update an application in OSCAR, does the judge (and/or his/her clerks) see it? i.e., is there any change on the judge's end, or does it just still read as "finalized" or whatever?

When you update something, your app status changes from Finalized to Updated, and all we see is something like this:
"Writing Sample (Updated 05/8/2019 08:59 am)" and the "Writing Sample" part is a link to the document.
So if you’ve already passed over my application, there’s no guarantee you’ll look at it again to see what the update is?

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:

So if you’ve already passed over my application, there’s no guarantee you’ll look at it again to see what the update is?
The answer to this kind of depends. Let me try to give a couple hypos:

(1) If you were someone we reviewed and decided "no" on, based on a variety of factors (say, low grades, meh school, bad writing sample), then an updated writing sample alone would not pique my curiosity.

(2) If you were someone we reviewed and decided "yes" on, then I would almost definitely review whatever was updated. In this scenario, I likely also happen to have downloaded your original submission, and I could--if I wanted--compare the new thing to the old. This happened one time, in which the candidate updated their packet by replacing their writing sample with a more relevant one. The first sample was good enough for consideration, but the second was even better, so it was a good update.

(3) If you were someone we reviewed and decided "no" on based on JUST your writing sample, but then you updated your writing sample, I would probably take a look at it. This sort of happened with one candidate, who used something like a 1L memo as a writing sample, but later got approval to use something from their summer position which was a much better sample. I don't remember whether they moved forward in the process, but it definitely strengthened their application, at the very least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 pm

HillandHollow wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
HillandHollow wrote:

The answer to this kind of depends. Let me try to give a couple hypos:

(1) If you were someone we reviewed and decided "no" on, based on a variety of factors (say, low grades, meh school, bad writing sample), then an updated writing sample alone would not pique my curiosity.

(2) If you were someone we reviewed and decided "yes" on, then I would almost definitely review whatever was updated. In this scenario, I likely also happen to have downloaded your original submission, and I could--if I wanted--compare the new thing to the old. This happened one time, in which the candidate updated their packet by replacing their writing sample with a more relevant one. The first sample was good enough for consideration, but the second was even better, so it was a good update.

(3) If you were someone we reviewed and decided "no" on based on JUST your writing sample, but then you updated your writing sample, I would probably take a look at it. This sort of happened with one candidate, who used something like a 1L memo as a writing sample, but later got approval to use something from their summer position which was a much better sample. I don't remember whether they moved forward in the process, but it definitely strengthened their application, at the very least.
What if it’s a resume update?

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote: What if it’s a resume update?
I think the above still generally applies. Our application window was not so big that people would likely be adding substantial new things to their resume. At best the update would be an address change, or like finalizing a GPA or something? I'm not recalling any time when someone added any new substantive experience, which is something that would have been considered by us.

But in general, i'm saying that if you were dinged on the basis of a single thing and that thing is the one you update, I'd look at it. Ifyou were dinged for multiple things, then updating one of them would most like not get a new look. The only exception to this is if we felt we needed more candidates in our pool or something, we might look at it then, too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”