When, if ever, is it appropriate to seek an update after an interview Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

When, if ever, is it appropriate to seek an update after an interview

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:10 pm

I interviewed with a Judge I would like to clerk for (obviously) about a week and a half ago. Radio silence so far. I forgot to ask about the hiring timeline during the interview. In my experience, judges will usually tell you when to expect a response, but this judge did not.

I don’t think I’m there yet, as a former clerk told me this judge likes to interview all candidates, but when, if ever, should I reach out to chambers for an update? If I havnt heard at the two week mark, is it appropriate to contact chambers about the timeline? For what it’s worth, this will be my third clerkship if I get it, and I never would’ve been annoyed by an applicant contacting me about this question.

Anonymous User

Re: When, if ever, is it appropriate to seek an update after an interview

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Bump. Still no word either way. Interview two weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Still no word either way. Interview two weeks ago.
I would wait considerably longer than two weeks before asking for an update, unless you have some reason to believe that the judge makes quick decisions or you need to know for purposes of some other career decision. Some judges can take months to decide, and it's really their prerogative to wait as long as they feel like (although I understand it can be annoying/stressful). We had a candidate ask for an update a few times times over the course of 1-2 months in one of my clerkships, and it was not viewed favorably by the judge. When other applicants are not contacting chambers, and only one applicant is, the risk is that you come across as more impatient/entitled than the rest of the pool. Not suggesting that you are either of those things, but that's the risk.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Yeah, two weeks is not very long. I would continue to wait.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:08 am

Wait. 2 weeks is nothing. My COA judge offered me my clerkship eightish weeks after the interview. I don't see a reason for an update unless you're weighing other offers or need to know for some good reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 am

The only thing I'd add to this is if you feel comfortable, you might contact a clerk and say "oh, I forgot to ask about the timeline when I was there, do you have an idea of when Judge will make her decision?"
BUT
This is only really an option if it is a clerk with whom you have a relationship that extended beyond conversations about scheduling. IF there is someone there that you emailed or called previously to chat about the judge, or IF it's a person you otherwise know from outside of the clerkship application process (school alumni, friend, classmate, etc), then this MIGHT be an option. If you've only really interacted with the clerk for interview stuff like scheduling, then you risk the things mentioned by other commentators in this thread.

Otherwise, just be patient, even though that can be frustrating.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:16 pm

OP here. Thanks. I’ll wait until it’s been a month before asking for some kind of timeline or update. At this point I just want to know so that I can stop worrying about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”