Found Errors in Submitted Writing Sample, Help! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Found Errors in Submitted Writing Sample, Help!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:22 am

I feel incredibly dumb about this, but essentially after doing a giant submission of applications to clerkships (both paper and OSCAR) I discovered that my writing sample has a couple small typos. I don't know how I didn't catch this sooner-- I was so sure I went through my sample carefully. I uploaded a new version on OSCAR and updated my finalized applications, but I'm not sure what to do about my paper applications. Should I call chambers, ask them to shred the app they received, and re-submit? Should I let this go and just assume I'll strike out this cycle? Also, would appreciate insight from any former clerks about what you see on the other end when someone updates their OSCAR app, i.e. is everyone going to see I'm an idiot that can't proofread? I'm really freaking out, so any advice would be super appreciated.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Re: Found Errors in Submitted Writing Sample, Help!

Post by HillandHollow » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:10 am

I did the same thing, actually, in my first batch of apps. I stupidly used the second-to-final edit by accident, so it had the last few typos that I corrected for the FINAL version.

I updated my OSCAR apps, and frankly wrote off the paper judges (although I think I may have ended up getting an interview from one of them, so maybe the typos weren't as glaring as I thought).

I don't think calling chambers is a great idea. That would probably just point out to us that there is an issue, when we might not have caught it on our own, so you might as well roll the dice on us catching it.

As far as what it looks like from this side of OSCAR: unless I happened to have opened and read the first draft before you updated it, I would have no idea what you changed. When you update it, the old one gets removed. You could be swapping out one sample for an entirely different newer (better) one for all I know. In other words, I don't really think anything of an updated application, but I don't speak for all clerks.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 am

I got one clerkship despite a few very dumb typos that slipped through in my writing sample (and were noticed by chambers(!)). I agree not to call attention to it.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:13 pm

As somebody who helped interview a future round of clerk hires, I highly recommend that you don’t say or do anything. Flagging and replacing would probably hurt you almost as much, but more significantly it’ll guarantee attention gets drawn to it. Nobody reads them during early rounds anyway, frankly. If you happen to get to final round, you could always give them a completely new writing sample that’s more recent in the hopes they look at that instead.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:26 pm

I agree with the consensus. Some judges might forgive a few small typos, the ones who won't also aren't going to be swayed by you replacing the bad version, and many probably won't notice at all (at least if the typos are truly small).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:26 pm

thanks everyone, i appreciate the advice. fingers crossed!

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 am

BTW, just for info, when you update something on OSCAR, all we see is something like this:
"Writing Sample (Updated 05/8/2019 08:59 am)" and the "Writing Sample" part is a link to the document.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:00 pm

just wanted to follow up and let y'all know i ended up with a clerkship i'm happy with. i really appreciate all the advice and reassurance i got from y'all!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just wanted to follow up and let y'all know i ended up with a clerkship i'm happy with. i really appreciate all the advice and reassurance i got from y'all!
Congratulations! Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”