Advice for current SA RE clerkships to start after one year of big law? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Advice for current SA RE clerkships to start after one year of big law?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:31 pm

Is there any conventional wisdom regarding applying for clerkships that would start after one year of biglaw?

I'm class of 2020 and just started as a summer associate at a large firm. If given an offer I would want to return, and I would want to return after a clerkship if I get one. While working on clerkship applications for the 2020-2021 term, I discovered a judge in the same city as my firm is accepting applications for the 2021-2022 term.

Is it unusual to go to a clerkship after just one year of biglaw? How would I find out if my firm would be okay with this and if there would be any difficulty returning to the firm after the clerkship, especially considering I don't even have an offer of full-time employment yet?

Any advice on how to think through this would be much appreciated! Thanks.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Advice for current SA RE clerkships to start after one year of big law?

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:33 pm

This is increasingly common. If you're at a large firm where any decent number of people end up clerking, it won't be out of the ordinary at all and shouldn't be a big deal.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:41 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:This is increasingly common. If you're at a large firm where any decent number of people end up clerking, it won't be out of the ordinary at all and shouldn't be a big deal.
Seconded. Any biglaw firm that values clerkships will be totally fine with it. You don't need to tell them that you're applying, nor do you really need to tell them if you get a clerkship before you get an offer, but there is no real reason not to (they aren't going to no-offer you because you are going to clerk after a year, but I guess waiting for the offer before telling the firm is the safest bet).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:03 pm

I'm doing this right now. I'm a 2017 graduate who got my clerkship just before my summer associateship after 2L, spent my first year after graduation at the firm, and am now finishing up the clerkship and getting ready to go back. As long as they value clerkships they won't care and they may actually secretly like it, because they don't have to pay you for a year when you're not yet profitable. There's no reason to tell them that your'e applying, but if there are people at the firm who have clerked for judges you're applying to you should absolutely seek them out. Lots of people get clerkships because an ex-clerk called the judge and got their application pulled out of the pile.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”