Transactional work and clerkships Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Transactional work and clerkships

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 am

This has been asked before but I wanted to again get replies. If I am planning on going into corporate transactional practice, is it worth it to do a federal clerkship? Not even necessarily one in DE, but just a federal clerkship anywhere?

Auxilio

Silver

Re: Transactional work and clerkships

Post by Auxilio » Fri May 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Generally no, unless you really want to clerk for some reason. To be clear a federal clerkship in DE isn't really any more corporate than elsewhere. The federal clerkship (if any) for kind of corporate background would be SDNY I guess.

DE chancery and supreme courts often go into transactional practice, but those are both state courts.

Splurgles23

New

Re: Transactional work and clerkships

Post by Splurgles23 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 pm

I think it's an intrinsically worthwhile and sometimes even enjoyable experience, even if there's no apparent and no direct pay-off to your immediate career goals. Few people can to see the inside of a judge's chambers -- how opinions are written, how judges interact, how law is made, basically -- from such a privileged position. Your writing, analytical, and critical thinking skills will improve; you'll get to help work on (depending on the court) interesting cases from diverse fields. And who knows, you might find something you didn't expect -- a different career path, a set of friends/connections, exposure to things off your previous path. That's only good. I've talked to at least some corporate lawyers who work on only and 100% transactional work for a V5 firm, and they both are happy they clerked and encourage young associates to do it even if they know they're going to do transactional work afterwards.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”