Clerkship Recommendation Advice Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship Recommendation Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 am

I'm currently a 2L at HYSCCN, top 15%ish, planning to apply for clerkships per the hiring plan. I've secured 3 recommenders, but the third professor has asked, among other things, for me to submit a draft recommendation letter to them (they say they will write their own afterwards). I've never done this before and am kind of at a loss - is a clerkship recommendation letter structured the same way as any other letter of recommendation? Is there anything in particular I should think about highlighting beyond the obvious?

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship Recommendation Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Following! Have the same situation. Halp.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Thu May 16, 2019 11:28 am

Most good recommendation letters are about one or two pages, and are basically something like:

"Dear Judge,
Para 1: I write to offer my strong support of STUDENT, who I understand has applied for a clerk position in your chambers. STUDENT is great, etc.
Para 2: STUDENT was in my BIRD LAW class, and demonstrated early on that she was beak and wing above most of her classmates. She often attended my office hours, and she was a stable genius...She got an A+ in my class/She got a C+ in my class, but at our school, a C+ is actually very impressive, because our school is so difficult, and also a C+ doesn't reflect her actual abilities or whatever...
Para 3: But STUDENT wasn't just a Bird Law virtuoso. STUDENT came from some kind of background, which is interesting and relevant or not. This experience made STUDENT just like so cool and mature. Everyone on campus loves her.
End: I offer my strongest recommendation, because STUDENT is just the best.

Love,
Professor Crowell"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 3:34 pm

HillandHollow wrote:Most good recommendation letters are about one or two pages, and are basically something like:

"Dear Judge,
Para 1: I write to offer my strong support of STUDENT, who I understand has applied for a clerk position in your chambers. STUDENT is great, etc.
Para 2: STUDENT was in my BIRD LAW class, and demonstrated early on that she was beak and wing above most of her classmates. She often attended my office hours, and she was a stable genius...She got an A+ in my class/She got a C+ in my class, but at our school, a C+ is actually very impressive, because our school is so difficult, and also a C+ doesn't reflect her actual abilities or whatever...
Para 3: But STUDENT wasn't just a Bird Law virtuoso. STUDENT came from some kind of background, which is interesting and relevant or not. This experience made STUDENT just like so cool and mature. Everyone on campus loves her.
End: I offer my strongest recommendation, because STUDENT is just the best.

Love,
Professor Crowell"
this is awesome! thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 3:53 pm

Yes thank you, this is super helpful!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”