SSC clerkships for confused foreign-educated lawyers Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Weird situation - any chance at Federal clerksip?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:21 am

Answered so deleted - thanks all
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auxilio

Silver

Re: Weird situation - any chance at Federal clerksip?

Post by Auxilio » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:06 pm

To be honest, I don't think any American judge will hire a foreign educated law student (maybe exceptions for McGill/UofT/OxBridge). But to the extent you want to clerk I would definitely look at State clerkships.

Court of Appeals (highest court in State) in NY is more prestigious than Guam district etc., especially if you are practicing in NY.

Similarly, Delaware Court of Chancery, Delaware Supreme, California Supreme are much more prestigious than Guam etc. (I'd put them as average circuits generally).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:09 pm

I clerked at one of the district courts that you listed. To put it bluntly--I think it is very unlikely that you would be hired by my judge. Even in the territories, I think there is an aversion to hiring someone without an American law degree and there are a large number of qualified applicants (including non-citizens with American degrees).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:32 pm

OP here, thanks for the replies! What are my chances at say the NY Court of Appeals?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thanks for the replies! What are my chances at say the NY Court of Appeals?
I mean, I've still never heard of a clerk with a foreign education, so I'd imagine very slim at best. It sounds like you would have a couple years of NY practice before clerking though, so there's maybe a chance I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bozbozboz

New

Post by bozbozboz » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, thanks for the replies! What are my chances at say the NY Court of Appeals?
I mean, I've still never heard of a clerk with a foreign education, so I'd imagine very slim at best. It sounds like you would have a couple years of NY practice before clerking though, so there's maybe a chance I guess.
Yeah, I figured it would be very difficult. Thanks for the honest reply!

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Certain judges hire "Volunteer Law Clerks," and these positions are meant for non-U.S. citizens.

Anonymous User

SSC clerkships for confused foreign-educated lawyers

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi TLS,

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm a 2L from a (relatively) prestigious foreign law school (think Osgoode/McGill/UofT/OxBridge/etc.). I have a V10 SA lined up in a good market. If I don't end up returning to my country, my goal is to work for a good litigation boutique, but I know that most lawyers at boutiques have done clerkships. I've obviously ruled out federal clerkships, but I'm wondering if I have a chance at SSC clerkships.

- Would I have a chance at a prestigious SSC? Stats: Top 20%, secondary journal, moot/clinic, V10 SA.
- Is a SSC clerkship at all valuable for biglaw if it's in the same market?
- Is it possible to get a job at a decent boutique firm if I don't clerk and just work really hard for a few years in biglaw?
- Does it make any sense at all to do an LLM to get some sort of US legal education?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could provide any insight.

QContinuum

Re: SSC clerkships for confused foreign-educated lawyers

Post by QContinuum » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:- Would I have a chance at a prestigious SSC? Stats: Top 20%, secondary journal, moot/clinic, V10 SA.
- Is a SSC clerkship at all valuable for biglaw if it's in the same market?
- Is it possible to get a job at a decent boutique firm if I don't clerk and just work really hard for a few years in biglaw?
- Does it make any sense at all to do an LLM to get some sort of US legal education?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could provide any insight.
First, congrats on your V10 SA! Since you have that SA, zero need/benefit for you to do a U.S. LL.M.

Assuming you're eligible to do a SSC clerkship (no idea whether those impose any citizenship requirements), I would say California Supreme Court, NY Court of Appeals, or MA SJC would look good. Delaware too (either Chancery or Supreme Court), but I think they usually take folks with some experience practicing. I don't think any other state court clerkship would benefit you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bozbozboz

New

Post by bozbozboz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:52 am

QContinuum wrote: First, congrats on your V10 SA! Since you have that SA, zero need/benefit for you to do a U.S. LL.M.

Assuming you're eligible to do a SSC clerkship (no idea whether those impose any citizenship requirements), I would say California Supreme Court, NY Court of Appeals, or MA SJC would look good. Delaware too (either Chancery or Supreme Court), but I think they usually take folks with some experience practicing. I don't think any other state court clerkship would benefit you.
Thank you! And thanks for the advice re LLM. If anyone else can offer any advice re boutique lit firms, that would also be great!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:02 am

bozbozboz wrote:
QContinuum wrote: First, congrats on your V10 SA! Since you have that SA, zero need/benefit for you to do a U.S. LL.M.

Thank you! And thanks for the advice re LLM. If anyone else can offer any advice re boutique lit firms, that would also be great!
Current foreign but educated-in-US clerking on a prestigious SSC. I don't think you'd have much luck getting any of the clerkships coming from a non-US school (it's worth noting that they don't impose citizenship requirements—I don't think anyone but the federal government can as a result of 14A/national origin discrimination).

But to answer your question about boutiques, it shouldn't be a large impediment. With some exceptions (I know Susman, probably a couple others) who explicitly only hire clerks, often only federal clerks, as part of a marketing angle. Interviewing with a wide variety of boutiques this year I've been paired with a few foreign lawyers who did not clerk explicitly because they couldn't and still got a job. This was true within the top tier of firms (think Keker/Kellogg/MTO). Unfortunately, I expect most of the top tier non-clerkship associates got their job through SAs since 3L hiring often isn't even really on boutique's radar.

You have a chance, although it's not amazing. Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”