Opportunities after NJ Tax Court Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
anonymous93

New

Opportunities after NJ Tax Court Clerkship

Post by anonymous93 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:53 pm

3L at a T2 Law school (top 50%) working for a New Jersey Tax Court Judge from fall 2019-2020. Writing to ask what most tax court clerks go into afterwards and the difficulty of getting a job at a top regional firm, small firm, or big4 company (I plan on practicing in New Jersey). In addition, I really like bankruptcy and would like to send off applications for a bankruptcy clerkship that will start in 2020. Would like to know if anyone on here did or know someone who did something similar to start there career.

Did well in Bankruptcy, Corporate Finance, Fed. Tax. and currently taking Commercial Law (secured transactions). Also, worked a bankruptcy externship in my 3rd year of law school.

Anonymous User

Re: Opportunities after NJ Tax Court Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:32 pm

anonymous93 wrote:3L at a T2 Law school (top 50%) working for a New Jersey Tax Court Judge from fall 2019-2020. Writing to ask what most tax court clerks go into afterwards and the difficulty of getting a job at a top regional firm, small firm, or big4 company (I plan on practicing in New Jersey). In addition, I really like bankruptcy and would like to send off applications for a bankruptcy clerkship that will start in 2020. Would like to know if anyone on here did or know someone who did something similar to start there career.

Did well in Bankruptcy, Corporate Finance, Fed. Tax. and currently taking Commercial Law (secured transactions). Also, worked a bankruptcy externship in my 3rd year of law school.

I clerked for a NJ Tax Court judge in Trenton for the 2014-2015 term. Honestly, if you want to go into property tax appeals, it's a great experience and will definitely open doors at small regional firms that specialize in this. A handful of people go to the Big 4 accounting firms, but don't hold your breath -- they seemed to already know people at those firms before their clerkships. A handful go on to get Tax LLMs. Off the top of my head, I know that in the few years before and after me, fellow clerks went on to get that degree from NYU, Georgetown, BU, and Villanova. Afterwards, those that went the LLM route mostly went on to Big 4 accounting firms, and to slightly higher-paying positions than those that went straight from clerking to Big 4. If you want to actually practice law, you'll definitely meet people with hiring power while clerking, but again, in the property tax world. Besides that, I'm not sure the clerkship actually holds much value. In retrospect, I wish I had accepted an actual job offer that was on the table right out of law school than done the clerkship. Since I don't want to actually file and litigate property tax appeals all the time, it was honestly a waste of time for me.

Also of note: the way NJ Tax Court is run is VERY different than every other court in NJ. So it isn't even like being familiar with the system is super helpful if you want to practice a different specialty.

If you can get that bankruptcy clerkship, obviously all of this wouldn't apply to you the same way it applies to all of us.

Anonymous User

Re: Opportunities after NJ Tax Court Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Thanks, I am not entirely familiar with property tax appeals in NJ but I do not see any reason why I would not like it. I guess I will see soon.

When did you start to apply for post clerkship positions? Also, what type of law are doing now? firm or not in a firm?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”