Pursuing Delaware Court of Chancery Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Pursuing Delaware Court of Chancery Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Hey All,

I'm trying to pursue corporate law and I'm wondering what kind of stats/experience one would need to be competitive Delaware Court of Chancery clerkship.

Any and all thoughts about the process/requirements would be appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Pursuing Delaware Court of Chancery Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:19 am

As a current clerk in DE I think competitiveness is roughly on par with top (with exception of SDNY) district courts. I get the sense that most VCs like people who have practiced for a year or two (or have a background in finance). A lot of them will explicitly want one person with a strong background in finance since they often have to conduct their own DCF analysis.

None of them care much about ties, although I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:12 pm

I received an interview to clerk with the Chancery court. I am at a strong regional school (Top 30) with Law Review and Top 10%. An A in corporations is a must. My understanding is that recommendations matter A LOT, especially if applying outside the T14. Also helps that we have a grad on the court and have had previous grads very recently clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:14 pm

OP Here

Thanks for the input!

Even with an A/A+ in corporations/business associations from a mid/lower t14, I assume I would not have much of a chance if I end up graduating only a few points above median without law review?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here

Thanks for the input!

Even with an A/A+ in corporations/business associations from a mid/lower t14, I assume I would not have much of a chance if I end up graduating only a few points above median without law review?
Del. clerk anon above: I wouldn't not apply if you are interested, but I wouldn't put money on getting a clerkship either to be honest. Most of the people I know are top 25% + LR at least when from a lower T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:27 pm

OP here.
Quick follow up.

Would clerking for the Delaware Supreme Court be on the same "level" as clerking with the Chancery Court?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.
Quick follow up.

Would clerking for the Delaware Supreme Court be on the same "level" as clerking with the Chancery Court?
Just came from Supreme Court clerkship, I think it's a level below--but a very small level. Probably more variation of in value depending on judge too. Seitz (probable CJ), Valihura, and whoever they are going to promote from Chancery are a higher tier for corporate work than Traynor, who's a higher tier than Vaughn. Just because of their more expertise on corporate work--they tend to write basically all the big corporate decisions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Quick follow up.

Just came from Supreme Court clerkship, I think it's a level below--but a very small level. Probably more variation of in value depending on judge too. Seitz (probable CJ), Valihura, and whoever they are going to promote from Chancery are a higher tier for corporate work than Traynor, who's a higher tier than Vaughn. Just because of their more expertise on corporate work--they tend to write basically all the big corporate decisions.
OP again.
Congrats on the clerkship!
To the extent you are able without outing yourself, what kind of post-clerkship opportunities did/do you have? Were a bunch of V10 firms throwing offers your way? Would you do it again/was it worthwhile?
Also, did you not have any interest in the Chancery Court?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Quick follow up.

OP again.
Congrats on the clerkship!
To the extent you are able without outing yourself, what kind of post-clerkship opportunities did/do you have? Were a bunch of V10 firms throwing offers your way? Would you do it again/was it worthwhile?
Also, did you not have any interest in the Chancery Court?
I had unique goals, that I can't get into. But opportunities are decent, probably half of Strine's clerks over the last 5 years have gone to Wachtell for example. Kirkland and Weil at least puts effort into recruiting (dinners, individual reach out, etc.), not sure how much other V10 value it.

I would do it again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theswisswereright

New

Post by theswisswereright » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey All,

I'm trying to pursue corporate law and I'm wondering what kind of stats/experience one would need to be competitive Delaware Court of Chancery clerkship.

I know this is an old thread, but I got interviews with two of the VCs and I was in the top 20% from a lower T1 school, on senior board of my journal (but not law review), and would have been coming straight from a flyover magistrate judge clerkship. I did have a ton of corporate-related classes on my transcript, and good grades in those. Not sure what happened there, since my stats seem way off in comparison to what everyone else says.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:23 pm

theswisswereright wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but I got interviews with two of the VCs and I was in the top 20% from a lower T1 school, on senior board of my journal (but not law review), and would have been coming straight from a flyover magistrate judge clerkship. I did have a ton of corporate-related classes on my transcript, and good grades in those. Not sure what happened there, since my stats seem way off in comparison to what everyone else says.
Did you land a clerkship?

Also, if anyone else has any perspective they'd be willing to share, that would be great!

theswisswereright

New

Post by theswisswereright » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
theswisswereright wrote:

Did you land a clerkship?

Also, if anyone else has any perspective they'd be willing to share, that would be great!
Oh, no, I would have definitely said if I had-- I'm a great writer, but not a fantastic interview, and I think things went a little haywire. My point was mostly that it's not impossible to get an interview (and thus a shot at the job) even if your stats don't line up perfectly with the "expected" stat line for a Chancery clerk. Maybe I was punching above my weight there, but it was a chance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”