Clerkship after biglaw. Post-Clerkship hiring questions. Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bananabreadmuffins

New

Clerkship after biglaw. Post-Clerkship hiring questions.

Post by bananabreadmuffins » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:31 pm

So most of the post-clerkship hiring questions seem focused on the normal clerkship route straight from law school (went to one of MVPD). I'm in a bit of a different scenario. Did 2 years of biglaw, and am doing a 1 year term AIII clerkship. Clerkship isn't anywhere impressive (non cd/nd cal. or sdny), but i'm loving it so far. I don't want to return to my biglaw firm and would like to join another one in a different market. I'm currently in the south, ATL, but would like to move markets (and firms) to the East Coast, maybe NYC, Boston, DC. I (or my husband) have ties to each city.

I guess my question is how does hiring work for someone like me? Do I wait till my clerkship is almost up then start trying to look for lateral positions? Or should I just start reaching out to law firms and see if they're interested in hiring me after my clerkship is over? Guess I'd just like a little guidance since I feel a little lost at how to approach things.

Thank you in advance!

cheaptilts

Silver

Re: Clerkship after biglaw. Post-Clerkship hiring questions.

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:50 pm

When does your clerkship end? If in the summer of 2019, you should be applying to NYC/BOS/DC firms today, I’d not yesterday, assuming you’d like to start somewhere in the fall.

Your path is not weird. In major districts—particular SDNY/EDNY and DDC—many judges, if not most, require post-LS work experience before coming aboard. And firms still recruit these candidates happily.

In short, you should not wait to apply. You should apply now. Your path is normal, and it would be strange to delay applying.

bananabreadmuffins

New

Post by bananabreadmuffins » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 pm

Thanks for the tips! I'm a bit off cycle, so I still have a good 9 months ahead of me. I wonder, do I just mass mail these firms, or wait for an opening to pop up? Guess I'm just wondering if it's strange to blind email a firm letting them know that I'm interested.

Thanks again!

AUSAorBust

New

Post by AUSAorBust » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Echoing what was said above. Most clerks got their apps in in January (including clerks with experience before their clerkship). Firms are interviewing and extending offers now. You need to start applying ASAP.

If they have spots posted, apply to them. If not, try sending an email application. They may be hiring or they may not be, but it won't hurt to apply.

Edit: Just saw your post that you are off-cycle. I'd still apply now. Better early than late.
Last edited by AUSAorBust on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:58 pm

bananabreadmuffins wrote:Thanks for the tips! I'm a bit off cycle, so I still have a good 9 months ahead of me. I wonder, do I just mass mail these firms, or wait for an opening to pop up? Guess I'm just wondering if it's strange to blind email a firm letting them know that I'm interested.

Thanks again!
This is the normal path; it's not strange at all.

bananabreadmuffins

New

Post by bananabreadmuffins » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Perfect, thank you very much for the timing and application advice. It's very much appreciated!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”