Patent Speciality - Any Chance at Clerking? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Patent Speciality - Any Chance at Clerking?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Current 3L in t14 (not H, Y, S), late to the clerkship game. Above median grades, but not stellar (~3.80). On a journal, but not law review, and with a self-reviewed so-so writing sample. My only 'schtick' in law school (and my only real legal interest, so far) is IP/patent law. I have work experience in biomedicine and am a registered patent agent.

Obviously I applied to Federal Circuit (the few available on OSCAR), but am wondering if I'm DOA for other COA clerkships, if not district. Almost every professor/attorney I've talked to has said "you should target Federal Circuit." Absent a miracle, I just don't know if I see that - are there other courts I should target? Only 2 judges on OSCAR are part of the Patent Pilot Program, and I've applied to them as well. I've applied to a few miscellaneous District/COA judges, but I know my resume just screams 'patent.' Anything I should do?

AUSAorBust

New

Re: Patent Speciality - Any Chance at Clerking?

Post by AUSAorBust » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:09 pm

I would apply more broadly. I think those credentials will likely appeal to most judges, even though they signal patent law.

Also, if you haven't, apply to D. Delaware. My understanding it that they are not in the pilot program, but have a lot of patent cases.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Definitely apply to Federal Circuit, and don't be limited to OSCAR. A bunch of judges only accept paper applications.
On average, CAFC judges tend to hire more experienced clerks; relatively few judges take direct from law school. But indicate that you're interested in clerking in the next available year, which is fine -- you'll spend a year or two practicing first. I think the judges are, in general, less grade conscious than judges on a court like CA2, CA9, or DC Cir, are.

I second D. Delaware. They're swamped with patent cases and most judges there want at least one patent-clerk. Highlight your interest in Hatch-Waxman litigation, for example, in your cover letter. Really beneficial to have a person in chambers who understands pharmaceuticals, biology, etc.

You might have success in other patent-heavy district courts such N.D. Cal., though that's pretty competitive, Texas, etc.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Where in the t14 is 3.8 not close to or within the top 10% ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm

cheaptilts wrote:Where in the t14 is 3.8 not close to or within the top 10% ?
Not sure if it gives us away - we don't rank. 3.80 is also not exact (it's slightly under).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”