Many Generic OSCAR Mail-Merged Cover Letters v. Fewer Targeted Cover Letters Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cyclawps

Bronze

Many Generic OSCAR Mail-Merged Cover Letters v. Fewer Targeted Cover Letters

Post by cyclawps » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:02 pm

How did/does everyone here balance sending many applications (using OSCAR's mail merge) and sending customized applications?

nixy

Gold

Re: Many Generic OSCAR Mail-Merged Cover Letters v. Fewer Targeted Cover Letters

Post by nixy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Unless you have stats guaranteed to turn the judge’s head, I would always customize the letters to the extent possible. Sometimes It’s just not really possible, admittedly.

Anonymous User

Re: Many Generic OSCAR Mail-Merged Cover Letters v. Fewer Targeted Cover Letters

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Current COA clerk. In a week, we probably get 50 applications. That's 2400 a year, and we will get a ton more in June when the 2Ls can apply. Like all clerks, I'm pretty busy, so I skim them. If you have an identifiable reason for wanting to work for my judge, I take a closer look. If you have a three-sentence cover letter with no specifics, I glaze over, unless your grades and experience really make you stand out.

From a law students perspective, judges all seem pretty similar. But they are very different in many ways -- judicial philosophy, writing style, personality, pre-judge background, to name a few. Narrow down the judges you really have a reason to work for and write a substantive cover letter. You have a much better shot that way.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”