Law Clerk Advice to Litigants/Pet Peeves Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
coramnonjudice

New

Law Clerk Advice to Litigants/Pet Peeves

Post by coramnonjudice » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:10 pm

Going back to litigating in federal court soon, and it made me wonder whether you all developed any pet peeves as far as litigants' behavior during your time as a law clerk? For instance, if a defendant filed a dispositive motion and attached only a portion of a deposition that was framed in a misleading way? Or if parties made ex parte calls to chambers making demands?

nixy

Gold

Re: Law Clerk Advice to Litigants/Pet Peeves

Post by nixy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:30 pm

If parties called chambers making ex parte demands they wouldn’t have to worry about my (the clerk’s) reaction, they’d get reamed by my judge.

I also kind of learned to assume that everything attached was framed in a misleading way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:49 am

I've been surprised by how many lawyers blow right through the page limits, especially on reply briefs.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Please read the local rules and check for any judge-specific rules. We won't really throw things out for not following our formatting guidelines, but it definitely annoys everyone.

Please do not call or email chambers to "ask a question" when you are actually trying to ex parte inform us of whatever thing opposing counsel did.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Nothing made me roll my eyes more than briefs that spent any time implying that the other side were idiots and/or assholes. Just make your arguments. Having litigated actual cases now, I get it, but the judge and clerks really don’t care.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:32 am

Elston Gunn wrote:Nothing made me roll my eyes more than briefs that spent any time implying that the other side were idiots and/or assholes. Just make your arguments. Having litigated actual cases now, I get it, but the judge and clerks really don’t care.

+1, it annoys me to no end when parties do this, and makes me think less of them.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:33 am

It usually made me laugh, but it did make me think they were whiners.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:23 pm

It always annoyed me when boomer lawyers would scan in their documents in stead of converting the native document to a PDF. Or, even worse, scanning in a PDF rather than just attaching the original PDF. It would make ctrl-fing a brief unreliable because the OCR tool for a scanned in brief is unreliable. I remember having to actually read an entire insurance policy to make sure I didn't miss anything because it was scanned in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”