Any District Courts that I have to avoid with my credentials? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Any District Courts that I have to avoid with my credentials?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:25 pm

1. T 25, Right at Top 33% (I literally made it at the border) 1L average was right above median, but after 3rd semester, I got huge bump. (If this matters); Secondary Law Review + Moot Court (Does winning matter? I was a finalist) + 1L Mock Trial (Semifinalist, but I don't think Mock Trial adds to clerkship app?) East Asian gay male. 2L summer plaintiff's boutique. 1L summer State App. Ct. Intern.

2. I've already decided to ignore: SDNY EDNY DDC EDVA EDPA DMass CDCA NDCA NDTX EDTX NDIll and all Circuits.

Should I add/subtract certain courts to/from this list? Because lol I can only send 100 apps.
I have no geographic connection nor preference because Fed clerkship is clerkship. Fresh off the boat here. (But citizen)

You don't need to recommend Mag/States because I will apply to them obviously.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Re: Any District Courts that I have to avoid with my credentials?

Post by gaddockteeg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't avoid any district on the basis of your grades.

Clerk hiring is idiosyncratic and largely dependent on the judge's personal leanings. Some judges care about your undergrad or your job exp or maybe you went to same high school as a judge. Some judges like/prefer minority applicants. All these random factors matter too and while grades can be the best predictor, it's absolutely not the end all be all. I can name 3 people off the top of my head with grades below yours at my t25 that got "prestigious" district clerkships.

are you likely going to get SDNY? Probably not, but if you find a judge that shares something in common with you, that might still be a stronger application than a random application to middle district of georgia.

argarg932

New

Post by argarg932 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:03 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't avoid any district on the basis of your grades.

Clerk hiring is idiosyncratic and largely dependent on the judge's personal leanings. Some judges care about your undergrad or your job exp or maybe you went to same high school as a judge. Some judges like/prefer minority applicants. All these random factors matter too and while grades can be the best predictor, it's absolutely not the end all be all. I can name 3 people off the top of my head with grades below yours at my t25 that got "prestigious" district clerkships.

are you likely going to get SDNY? Probably not, but if you find a judge that shares something in common with you, that might still be a stronger application than a random application to middle district of georgia.
Thanks! I decided to not completely ignore them, and search for some judges that might like me.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:17 am

Seconded on the don't ignore any district advice. Also, in regard to your statement about only being able to apply to 100 clerkships, I assume that refers to the limit on OSCAR, but you're not limited to applying through OSCAR. You can, and should, send paper applications unless you know for sure that a judge doesn't want them, and there is no limit on how many of those you can send

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”