Petition for Rehearing or Case Note for Writing Sample? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
exitdoesnotexist

New

Petition for Rehearing or Case Note for Writing Sample?

Post by exitdoesnotexist » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:09 am

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to apply for some state supreme court clerkships and I would like to hear ya'lls perspective surrounding write samples. In terms of what I'm choosing from, I have my brief from my 1L writing class, a petition for rehearing and rehearing en banc from my 1L summer internship, and a case note I wrote for my my law review write-on competition.

I'm wondering if it's okay to use a petition for rehearing/rehearing en banc and/or a case note from a law review write-on competition as a writing sample? I usually hear about people using regular briefs or law review notes. I don't really want to use my 1L brief because I don't think it's as well written as the other pieces, but I also don't know if the other pieces would be a red flag.

Thanks in advance.

nixy

Gold

Re: Petition for Rehearing or Case Note for Writing Sample?

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:38 am

The petition for rehearing will be fine. It’s best to use 1) your strongest piece of writing and 2) something written for a job rather than school.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:58 am

Also, proofread it again. And have someone else proofread it too.

I'm astonished at the number of writing samples I see with silly mistakes, as if you cannot make edits after the piece was used for its originally intended purpose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:26 pm

albanach wrote:Also, proofread it again. And have someone else proofread it too.

I'm astonished at the number of writing samples I see with silly mistakes, as if you cannot make edits after the piece was used for its originally intended purpose.
Some people think it's unethical to make edits to a writing sample after it was submitted for its original purpose. I'm not one of them, but just putting that out there.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Some people think it's unethical to make edits to a writing sample after it was submitted for its original purpose. I'm not one of them, but just putting that out there.
Those people should pick a writing sample without typos, non-cited quotations, or fundamental Bluebook errors.

In all seriousness, if someone wants to be a lawyer, then they should be able to frame the paragraph introducing their writing sample in such a way as to indicate that it includes minor stylistic and formatting edits made to facilitate its use as a writing sample.

No one will ding you from hiring because of a statement like that, whereas they certainly will for a writing sample containing stupid mistakes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:29 pm

I’ve never heard that it’s unethical to edit a piece after it was originally used. For someone else to edit it, sure.

exitdoesnotexist

New

Post by exitdoesnotexist » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Thanks for the responses! I will definitely make sure to proofread. So it sounds like a petition for rehearing is fine, what about the case note from my write-on competition?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Again, whatever you think represents your best writing. A lot of write-on competition pieces are kind of weird/artificial from having a closed-universe of sources, and not really appropriate. If yours really was a casenote that's the same format as any published casenote, sure, it would be fine, but most people don't really spend enough time on a write-on for me to think it would be your best option (like how long was your write-on and how long did you spend working on this?).

exitdoesnotexist

New

Post by exitdoesnotexist » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:28 pm

I spent about a week on it and it's 13 pages when formatted to standard 12 point/times new roman font. I think it's well written, but my concern is exactly what you mentioned, that the reader might be turned off by the closed universe and limited time I had to work on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 am

If it's closed-universe, I definitely wouldn't use it. It's too artificial and doesn't really reflect what you'd do in a clerkship - it could give rise to questioning your research ability.

exitdoesnotexist

New

Post by exitdoesnotexist » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Okay, I'll stick to the petition then. Thanks for all of your advice!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”