Applying for clerkships before finishing one year at my firm Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Applying for clerkships before finishing one year at my firm

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:06 am

Hi all,

Apologies if this type of question has been asked before. I am a first year associate at a large regional firm (closest thing to "BigLaw" here) where there is a federal court located. My goal was to clerk in this district before starting work, but it didn't happen that way. Postings are starting to come up for either MJ's or DJ's, but they would start before I completed my first year here. I would come back to the firm after completing my clerkship, but my ultimate goal is to go to the USAO (hence my push for a clerkship). My academic/work experience makes me competitive to get a clerkship in this area, so I am mostly concerned with the timing of it all and not burning bridges.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Applying for clerkships before finishing one year at my firm

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 am

I did this at my firm and they were completely fine with it. Although, it likely depends on how your firm views clerkships. Some firms love having clerks and others value clerkships less. My advice is to apply as if the firm is fine with it and, if you get one, ask for a few days to consider and run it by your firm then.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:44 am

You should definitely apply for clerkships.

If they’re difficult about it, it sounds like it would not be hard with your credentials plus clerkship to land at a different firm.

Overall, sounds like you’re in good shape. Good luck.

One other note is that I am not you and don’t know a ton about your situation, but at a glance, it might be worth giving some serious thought to whether a MJ would be worth your time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 am

Original anon here:

Thank you both for your replies. It sounds like I should move forward if the right opportunity comes up. Given my future goals (and the fact that I was balancing a few offers before starting at this firm), I am also inclined to wait to see if a DJ clerkship comes up -- that way it'll also give me a few more months at my current position, which will lessen my anxiety a little. I might also start mailing out to the DJs in the area starting in the late spring, just in case nothing is posted.

Again, thank you! It really helped put my mind at ease that this is something I should still pursue, and the timing is right if the opportunity is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”