SDNY Maj > District Clerkship Worth It? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

SDNY Maj > District Clerkship Worth It?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 pm

I'm currently clerking for an SDNY magistrate and am considering applying for district court clerkships in SDNY/EDNY/NJ. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into whether clerking for a magistrate is significantly different from clerking for a district judge (apart from the fact that DJs don't handle as many discovery disputes and mag judges issue a report and recommendation for dispositive motions). Is it worth it to try to do a clerkship with a DJ for the experience alone? Thanks!

nixy

Gold

Re: SDNY Maj > District Clerkship Worth It?

Post by nixy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Have you seen any significant trials? I know people can consent to trials before a magistrate but in some places it doesn't happen much. A district court judge would be worth it to get more trial experience.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 pm

I clerked for a Usdc judge who worked closely with a mag. Based on that experience, I will tell you that the jobs are definitely not the same (that said the extent to which they differ probably depends on district). But probably the bigger piece is that you’re so close to getting that full article 3 clerkship resume boost. From a hiring perspective, I can tell you it makes a huge difference on that front. Definitely invest another year I’d you can swing A3.

hicrhodus

New

Post by hicrhodus » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:06 am

Former EDNY clerk here: In that district, the jobs are completely different. Magistrates handle all non-dispositive pre-trial stuff in civil cases such as discovery disputes (in theory, this can be appealed to DJ but rarely is). Until you get to trial or a dispositive motion, they really function as the judges in civil cases. District judges handle only dispositive civil motions. So as a clerk for a district judge, you'd spend your time working on summary judgment motions and motions to dismiss; depending on the judge, you might also get involved w/ the criminal docket. If you're lucky, you'll get a trial or two (maybe more than two if you clerk for a Central Islip judge, as Nassau County doesn't like to settle 1983 suits). My judge only tended to refer out what we considered the boring motions (e.g., motions for attorney's fees and default judgment) although that might vary. It's worth noting that, as a practical matter, this meant that my judge was not in court that often on civil cases (although they had status conferences, pleas, sentencings, etc. in criminal matters) and as clerks we spent the vast majority of our time in chambers. In that way, the rhythm of our days were perhaps more like a COA clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:06 pm

OP here: This is very helpful, thanks all! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:51 am

hicrhodus wrote:Former EDNY clerk here: In that district, the jobs are completely different. Magistrates handle all non-dispositive pre-trial stuff in civil cases such as discovery disputes (in theory, this can be appealed to DJ but rarely is). Until you get to trial or a dispositive motion, they really function as the judges in civil cases. District judges handle only dispositive civil motions. So as a clerk for a district judge, you'd spend your time working on summary judgment motions and motions to dismiss; depending on the judge, you might also get involved w/ the criminal docket. If you're lucky, you'll get a trial or two (maybe more than two if you clerk for a Central Islip judge, as Nassau County doesn't like to settle 1983 suits). My judge only tended to refer out what we considered the boring motions (e.g., motions for attorney's fees and default judgment) although that might vary. It's worth noting that, as a practical matter, this meant that my judge was not in court that often on civil cases (although they had status conferences, pleas, sentencings, etc. in criminal matters) and as clerks we spent the vast majority of our time in chambers. In that way, the rhythm of our days were perhaps more like a COA clerkship.
I had a case before Judge Cogan which he handled (not the magistrate), but it’s a good observation—that I hadn’t thought about—that a lot of EDNY cases the magistrate is handling everything pre-trial (none of my cases have gotten to trial).

hicrhodus

New

Post by hicrhodus » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:48 pm

As far as I know, Judge Cogan is the only district judge in EDNY who doesn't refer all pre-trial non-dispositive matters in civil cases to magistrates. Perhaps not coincidentally, I had the impression that his clerks worked some of the longest hours in the building.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”