Applying to 2021 clerkships (c/o 2019) Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Applying to 2021 clerkships (c/o 2019)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:19 am

I plan to apply to clerkships beginning in 2021 and would like to hear whether people think I am likely to find a position soon, or will still be looking after graduation (May of this year).

A bit about me:
- EIC of LR at T20 school
- GPA: 3.87
- my school does not rank but I believe I am around the top 10%
- multiple book awards
- four very solid rec letters
- publishing note (also my writing sample)
- member of a special program for students interested in academia that is very competitive (10 people total at all times)
- work experience pre-law school (TFA and paralegal)
- other things: RA'd for two profs; best oralist finalist for Moot Court (but dropped out asap, so didn't make a final round); state school for undergrad with slightly above average GPA

Why 2021:
I already accepted a position at a firm (V10, litigation) for after graduation. I could apply to 2020 clerkships, but I think I would prefer to work for 1.5-2 years before clerking. As such, I'm open to off-cycle 2021 positions (e.g., those beginning in February)

Goals:
I'd prefer COA, ideally in a major metropolitan area. Not interested in the South.

Questions:
- For those that have hired clerks before, would someone applying this early for 2021 be considered, or would their file be put into a pile to sit around until more applications are submitted?
- Is your answer different if the position is already posted on oscar?
- Any thoughts on chances at a COA in a major city?
- Anything in particular I should include in my cover letter?

Anonymous User

Re: Applying to 2021 clerkships (c/o 2019)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote: - publishing note (also my writing sample)
I think you have a decent shot at a major city COA, I don't see why you shouldn't apply now--especially if a the position is already posted. Be prepared to not a get much movement until the summer though. Being put in a pile really isn't that bad.

The more important thing I would note is that you shouldn't submit your published LR note as a writing sample.

1. You want something closer to a brief, that's highly persuasive and fairly practical.

2. It's probably too long.

3. (Most important in my experience) You're screaming "this has been edited by a dozen+ people." Most assume their "self-edited" sample has been looked at by someone, but that's still a far cry from going through LR publishing.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”