Clerkship Bonus After Second Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship Bonus After Second Clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 am

I graduated from law school in 2013. I then clerked on a district court for two years. I went to a firm that paid me a clerkship bonus for those two years. After working at the firm for two years, I went to a circuit clerkship for two more years. As my clerkship finishes up, I've been applying to positions with other big firms that generally offer clerkship bonuses.

I recently received an offer that offered me a position as if I were Class of 2015. I have no objection to that--I wasn't expecting to receive more than two years of class credit from clerkships. I was a little surprised, however, that I did not receive any offer of a clerkship bonus. It seems to me that if I'm writing off two years of clerkships for class credit, then its not absurd for me to receive a clerkship bonus for my circuit clerkship. I was wondering what other people thought about this. Would I be out of line/ridiculous if I asked for a clerkship bonus?

Npret

Gold

Re: Clerkship Bonus After Second Clerkship

Post by Npret » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:33 am

I see nothing wrong with asking. It’s a substantial amount of money. I’m sure you know how to ask professionally.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Re: Clerkship Bonus After Second Clerkship

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated from law school in 2013. I then clerked on a district court for two years. I went to a firm that paid me a clerkship bonus for those two years. After working at the firm for two years, I went to a circuit clerkship for two more years. As my clerkship finishes up, I've been applying to positions with other big firms that generally offer clerkship bonuses.

I recently received an offer that offered me a position as if I were Class of 2015. I have no objection to that--I wasn't expecting to receive more than two years of class credit from clerkships. I was a little surprised, however, that I did not receive any offer of a clerkship bonus. It seems to me that if I'm writing off two years of clerkships for class credit, then its not absurd for me to receive a clerkship bonus for my circuit clerkship. I was wondering what other people thought about this. Would I be out of line/ridiculous if I asked for a clerkship bonus?
Agree you should ask/negotiate a bit, but I’m also not that surprised they aren’t even offering you the bonus. The bonus is really part of attracting clerks early in their career when they are a bit of a hot commodity. Because you’ve done 4 total years of clerkships, you’re in a different position where a lot of firms would be less interested, and so they have more leverage than if you were an incoming 2nd year off the same clerkship.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”