Value of S.D.N.Y. Bankr. at Poughkps for NY firms Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Volga9673

New

Value of S.D.N.Y. Bankr. at Poughkps for NY firms

Post by Volga9673 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am

Any value? Ofc. I'm talking about Bankr. groups.
Does it significantly lack value compared to that of S.D.N.Y. Bankr. Manhattan?

Anonymous User

Re: Value of S.D.N.Y. Bankr. at Poughkps for NY firms

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:28 am

Comparable value. SDNY Bk there or in Manhattan or White Plains are the same for job prospects.

Volga9673

New

Post by Volga9673 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Comparable value. SDNY Bk there or in Manhattan or White Plains are the same for job prospects.
Thanks! Much relieved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm

For summer internship or term clerkship? Big difference.

Volga9673

New

Post by Volga9673 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For summer internship or term clerkship? Big difference.
Term

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Have the gig starting 2019 or already looking ahead to applying in 2020? Is the goal to end up in a nyc big law bankr. group? Did you get an offer in D. Ct. Hawaii too you're still weighing? If you're looking for more general lit, a bankr. clerkship, even sdny, may not be the best way to get into a lit dept.

sourkind

New

Post by sourkind » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Judge Morris sends plenty of her clerks to Weil/Kirkland, but they already have stellar resumes.

Volga9673

New

Post by Volga9673 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have the gig starting 2019 or already looking ahead to applying in 2020? Is the goal to end up in a nyc big law bankr. group? Did you get an offer in D. Ct. Hawaii too you're still weighing? If you're looking for more general lit, a bankr. clerkship, even sdny, may not be the best way to get into a lit dept.
I'm weighing options. This is the most confusing time of my "legal career" so far and particularly more so because I got more options than what I expected from my less-than-stellar resume. Can't talk about the detail though.

All I can say is that if I get to practice Bankr. for life, I would love it too. (At least I enjoyed the class)

Volga9673

New

Post by Volga9673 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:59 pm

sourkind wrote:Judge Morris sends plenty of her clerks to Weil/Kirkland, but they already have stellar resumes.
Interesting. I thought she was mostly focused on Ch. 13 cases though? I don't see Kirk or Weil doing that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:41 pm

I think the ch 13 calendar rotates between SDNY judges every X amount of years but you're right, K&E/Weil type firms don't touch those. Judge Morris is definitely a known commodity as Chief Judge and has previously handled some mega cases so that clerkship will still land you some 'big law' interviews if the rest of your stats are up to par and you hit the networking circuit. Plenty of receptions are held for clerks that serve as a meet & greet with major firms so you'd just have to travel down for those. What are your stats? Have you looked into DE? Or some regional BK hotbeds like Chicago or Austin?

sourkind

New

Post by sourkind » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Judge Morris has kept the Ch13 docket for years... Loss mitigation is her baby. SDNY did used to do a rotation on 13's though.

Everything above anon said is 100% as to my knowledge btw

Reilloc

New

Post by Reilloc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 am

Judge Morris was Clerk of the Court before she took the bench. All the big firms know her and her clerks seem to do just fine when it comes to interviewing with them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”