What's the longest anyone has gone between an interview and an offer? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

What's the longest anyone has gone between an interview and an offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm more than 5 months post-interview with a judge and his staff. The interview was a second interview via video conference after we had an initial in-person interview. There's certainly no rush to fill the position - which doesn't begin until 2020, but I have emailed and called the point of contact who coordinated the interviews a few times to no avail. The judge specifically used the language "when you come here" and "we'll be back in touch"....and I took these comments to be very positive, if not an indication that I was a top candidate (I already kind of was one just by getting the interviews, right?). I know that a lot of clerkship applicants are left in the dark during the process, but I'm curious to hear additional stories about how long applicants have waited before hearing good news.

nixy

Gold

Re: What's the longest anyone has gone between an interview and an offer?

Post by nixy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:19 pm

I’m afraid the language you refer to is generic and the kind of thing interviewers say to all interviewees. It doesn’t indicate anything about your chances. You should read a silent “if we hired you” before any of those kinds of statements.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:22 pm

5 months is pretty dang long. I'd honestly consider it a rejection and keep applying etc.

I will add that gov. shut down possibly added some time to this but my understanding is the judicial branch wasn't affected so maybe not....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:34 pm

I'm going on 15 months post-interview. Considering the start date was in August, at a certain point it became clear I wouldn't hear back at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”