Accepted offer without info on clerkship bonus Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Accepted offer without info on clerkship bonus

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:25 pm

I was a summer associate in 2017 at a V20 and I received an offer. I had already accepted a federal clerkship, which I told them before accepting the offer. I never asked anything about a a clerkship bonus, and they never mentioned it.

Now I'm clerking and wondering whether (and when) I should reach out to them about the clerkship bonus. My understanding is that they pay a market bonus (based on reports online, but I'm a little uneasy because I didn't discuss with them it either way. The firm covered my bar-related expenses, so I wouldn't really be able to back out now without repaying that. Any insight or suggestions would be great.

Splurgles23

New

Re: Accepted offer without info on clerkship bonus

Post by Splurgles23 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was a summer associate in 2017 at a V20 and I received an offer. I had already accepted a federal clerkship, which I told them before accepting the offer. I never asked anything about a a clerkship bonus, and they never mentioned it.

Now I'm clerking and wondering whether (and when) I should reach out to them about the clerkship bonus. My understanding is that they pay a market bonus (based on reports online, but I'm a little uneasy because I didn't discuss with them it either way. The firm covered my bar-related expenses, so I wouldn't really be able to back out now without repaying that. Any insight or suggestions would be great.
At big firms like that it will be the market bonus. They're not going to negotiate on that (but they also won't not pay it out just because it wasn't made explicit beforehand).
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Npret

Gold

Re: Accepted offer without info on clerkship bonus

Post by Npret » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was a summer associate in 2017 at a V20 and I received an offer. I had already accepted a federal clerkship, which I told them before accepting the offer. I never asked anything about a a clerkship bonus, and they never mentioned it.

I’m a little unclear on the timing but I see no harm in confirming the bonus. If they pay a market bonus, you will receive it as a matter of firm policy.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”