Chance for Bankr without 2L bankr courses Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kmla14han

New

Chance for Bankr without 2L bankr courses

Post by kmla14han » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:47 pm

I will be taking them all during 3L year.

So far, I've taken good balance of both litigatory and transactional courses. (i.e. Fed Courts, Complex Litigation, Business Association, Intro Tax, Contract D, ADR) However, I will be taking all bankruptcy and security during 3L. Do I still have a chance? Also, I'm on journal but have written nothing about bankruptcy. Moot Court experience yes, but civil rights moot court.

Also, is it safe to assume that Bankruptcy Clerkship GPA corresponds to Fed. Dist. GPA range? Or is it usually more or less demanding?

MichelleMichelle

New

Re: Chance for Bankr without 2L bankr courses

Post by MichelleMichelle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 pm

kmla14han wrote:I will be taking them all during 3L year.

So far, I've taken good balance of both litigatory and transactional courses. (i.e. Fed Courts, Complex Litigation, Business Association, Intro Tax, Contract D, ADR) However, I will be taking all bankruptcy and security during 3L. Do I still have a chance? Also, I'm on journal but have written nothing about bankruptcy. Moot Court experience yes, but civil rights moot court.

Also, is it safe to assume that Bankruptcy Clerkship GPA corresponds to Fed. Dist. GPA range? Or is it usually more or less demanding?
Taking Bankruptcy during 3L will not be a problem, but most Bankruptcy judges are looking for a definite interest in Bankruptcy. So you might face an uphill battle because it seems like you don't have any Bankruptcy-related experience on your resume. Why are you looking to clerk for a Bankruptcy judge? You are going to need a really compelling answer to that question.

As far a GPA, my sense is that a BK judge *might* be willing to deviate from their stated preference on OSCAR *if* the applicant has a clear interest in Bankruptcy.

kmla14han

New

Post by kmla14han » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm

MichelleMichelle wrote:

Taking Bankruptcy during 3L will not be a problem, but most Bankruptcy judges are looking for a definite interest in Bankruptcy. So you might face an uphill battle because it seems like you don't have any Bankruptcy-related experience on your resume. Why are you looking to clerk for a Bankruptcy judge? You are going to need a really compelling answer to that question.

As far a GPA, my sense is that a BK judge *might* be willing to deviate from their stated preference on OSCAR *if* the applicant has a clear interest in Bankruptcy.

Thanks, first of all.
My interests are all very personal, but mainly two, and sound fake as hell but they are true. I just don't know whether writing these in cover letter will extinguish suspicions. But in a nutshell:

1. I like having a specialty but staying as a generalist. I heard while Bankruptcy is a stand-alone area, it touches basically every aspect of transactional law and has some litigation components. I like diversity in my practice.

2. I grew up under surgeon-psychiatrist parents, seeing them save people, either in a day or two with intense operation (mom), or over time for several years by making good relationships with them and taking care of them (dad). Bankr. practice resembles what they've done. I admire that.

MichelleMichelle

New

Post by MichelleMichelle » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:09 pm

kmla14han wrote:
MichelleMichelle wrote:

Thanks, first of all.
My interests are all very personal, but mainly two, and sound fake as hell but they are true. I just don't know whether writing these in cover letter will extinguish suspicions. But in a nutshell:

1. I like having a specialty but staying as a generalist. I heard while Bankruptcy is a stand-alone area, it touches basically every aspect of transactional law and has some litigation components. I like diversity in my practice.

2. I grew up under surgeon-psychiatrist parents, seeing them save people, either in a day or two with intense operation (mom), or over time for several years by making good relationships with them and taking care of them (dad). Bankr. practice resembles what they've done. I admire that.
Don't take my word for it and YMMV. Bankruptcy is a generalist practice, but again, without direct bankruptcy experience I am not sure how convincing your rationale is. I have also heard that IP litigation is super interesting, that does not mean it will be interesting *to me*. If I were you, I would find a way to be much more specific than a vague "I've heard this practice area is diverse."

The surgeon-psychiatrist analogy makes no sense to me.

I will add that when I was looking at applications for my bankruptcy judge, I skimmed the cover letter and resume. If someone went into great detail about their parents' professions I would have absolutely not read it. Not to be harsh, but a bankruptcy clerkship is going to put you into a niche. Unless you are pretty sure you want to do Bankruptcy, I would hesitate to do a Bankruptcy clerkship. If you are serious, however, the best you could do would be an externship for a bankruptcy judge or to work part time for a bankruptcy firm. That would be a really great way to demonstrate interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”