Bar exam after clerkship? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
olugnapper

New

Bar exam after clerkship?

Post by olugnapper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 am

I have a question about the bar exam and our Office of Student of Affairs is worthless so I'm turning to ya'll for advice. I am a 3L graduating this May. Following graduation I have two clerkships lined up (federal district and then appellate).

More relevant, I have the opportunity to do some research abroad this spring. I am considering staying abroad and just traveling until my clerkship begins in August (instead of studying for and taking the bar). What are the consequences of delaying the bar exam until July 2021? Will I be 'less marketable' when I begin searching for a post-clerkship job? Is it possible to study for the bar while working?

I know nothing about the bar exam so any guidance you can provide would be very appreciated!

Edit: I should note that I'm leaning heavily towards traveling; I'm OK with some headaches down the road to make this possible.

acr

Silver

Re: Bar exam after clerkship?

Post by acr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:11 pm

Won't hurt you - just might make it a bit more stressful down the line.

And will limit your flexibility to leave your clerkship in case the clerkship is a nightmare or you get a sweet offer somewhere else.

I wouldn't worry about working and studying for the Bar at the same time. I barely studied for the Bar and passed the UBE easily. And the amount of work required to pass the Bar is massively overblown (lawyers like to make everything sound like a huge, dramatic accomplishment for lay people).

I'm a huge proponent of traveling and gaining life experience while you can. Having the chance to live abroad doesn't come around very often, and pretty much impossible once you're cemented in a legal career. But I might be slightly biased because I bailed overseas after law school to the horror of my classmates, family, CSO - and everything turned out just fine for me.

sehunter

New

Post by sehunter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 pm

It will probably effect your ability to get a JSP step increase for your second clerkship, which can be a pretty substantial amount. You can check the table here https://oscar.uscourts.gov/qualificatio ... y_benefits

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:17 pm

This is not uncommon, but you won't be able to advance to JSP-12 until you have your admission to the bar. So if you theoretically went your whole second clerkship without being admitted to a bar, you'd lose out on about 10-k (difference between JSP-11/2 and 12/1).

It's probably too late for you now, but I have a three week gap between my first and second clerkships that my gf and I will use to travel. There will never be a better time to get the bar out of the way than right after graduation imo.

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:17 pm

I don't know how many things out there exist that require you to be admitted to a bar for a certain number of years (e.g., application to the Supreme Court bar), but those would be affected.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”