The New Clerkship Plan Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

The New Clerkship Plan

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:58 am

For the current clerks out there, are your judges following the new plan--i.e. not considering current students until after their 2L year?

I'd be particularly interested to know based on level of the court (district v. COA) and area of the country the extent to which it's being filed.

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Re: The New Clerkship Plan

Post by Fireworks2016 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the current clerks out there, are your judges following the new plan--i.e. not considering current students until after their 2L year?

I'd be particularly interested to know based on level of the court (district v. COA) and area of the country the extent to which it's being filed.
Neither my district (2018-2019) or circuit judge (2019-2020) have any intention on following the plan.

Both judges are in the Midwest Circuits (6,7,8) in non-major cities.

flyoverlawclerk47

New

Post by flyoverlawclerk47 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:04 pm

The magistrate judge I clerked for and the district judge I currently clerk for have always hired applicants with at least two years of law school grades because they typically interview and hire one year before the scheduled clerkship. Both judges are located in non-major cities in the 4th Circuit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:48 am

I know some judges are off plan on the 5th, 6th, and 10th circuits. Seems to vary more by ideology than circuit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:37 am

9th circuit and we are following the plan. I don’t know of any judges on the court who have opted out of the plan (Chief Judge Thomas was one of its major proponents) but that doesn’t mean that some haven’t done so quietly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cyclawps

Bronze

Post by cyclawps » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know some judges are off plan on the 5th, 6th, and 10th circuits. Seems to vary more by ideology than circuit.
Can you expand on that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:02 pm

cyclawps wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know some judges are off plan on the 5th, 6th, and 10th circuits. Seems to vary more by ideology than circuit.
Can you expand on that?
Different anon, but I think the previous anon was referring more to personal belief than political. My judge didn’t abide by the Plan, and her sole reason was that the strong(er)(est) feeders on the Circuit were plucking kids straight outta high school, so why shouldn’t she interview after a semester or two of grades?

Definitely rampant FOMO on purported superstar applicants to her peers. Was a lib, too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cyclawps wrote:
Can you expand on that?
Different anon, but I think the previous anon was referring more to personal belief than political. My judge didn’t abide by the Plan, and her sole reason was that the strong(er)(est) feeders on the Circuit were plucking kids straight outta high school, so why shouldn’t she interview after a semester or two of grades?

Definitely rampant FOMO on purported superstar applicants to her peers. Was a lib, too
Nope, it's political. For the most part, it's right-of-center judges who are hiring off-plan through the FedSoc network, while left-of-center judges are abiding by the plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”