Westlaw Edge Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Auxilio

Silver

Westlaw Edge

Post by Auxilio » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:25 pm

So apparently Westlaw student accounts all got upgraded to "Westlaw Edge" as of January 1. This is their new UI (and other stuff, but big thing is the UI). I think it is dramatically better than Westlaw Next's UI and incorporates a lot of the things I liked better about Lexis.

I mention this in the clerkship forum because (I'm not sure why, but I assume it is the same for others) I still have access to my law school Westlaw ~8 months after graduation. I switched from using my court's Westlaw account to my school one because the UI is just so much nicer. I recommend if you are a first year clerk to check if you still have access too.

anon sequitur

Silver

Re: Westlaw Edge

Post by anon sequitur » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Any word on when the judiciary and/or feds are getting this? Is it supposed to be their next platform for everyone, or an extra add-on? I would love a better UI for Westlaw.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:58 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Any word on when the judiciary and/or feds are getting this? Is it supposed to be their next platform for everyone, or an extra add-on? I would love a better UI for Westlaw.
My understanding is that it's the new platform for everyone, eventually. But they are charging extra for some period of time first.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:21 pm

I’m amused at the idea that Westlaw Next needs a better UI just because I remember what it looked like before that. (Have also never heard anyone prefer Lexis!)

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:25 pm

nixy wrote:I’m amused at the idea that Westlaw Next needs a better UI just because I remember what it looked like before that. (Have also never heard anyone prefer Lexis!)
I'm not saying I prefer Lexis overall, but I think Lexis had a better search results page especially before (I usually felt I had to click through to almost every option on Westlaw to figure out if it was relevant). It is still missing Lexis's bar with color coded mentions on the results page but overall it's much more efficient.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:12 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Any word on when the judiciary and/or feds are getting this? Is it supposed to be their next platform for everyone, or an extra add-on? I would love a better UI for Westlaw.
My agency (DoD) has Westlaw Edge. Haven't used it much but it does seem like an improvement.

Westlaw keeps your law school account open for one year after you graduate. Lexis does the same (but might be slightly shorter).

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My agency (DoD) has Westlaw Edge. Haven't used it much but it does seem like an improvement.

Westlaw keeps your law school account open for one year after you graduate. Lexis does the same (but might be slightly shorter).
Looking through my emails both explicitly state it is only kept open for 6 months, which is why I was confused.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”