Four years of clerking, sending apps to biglaw Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Four years of clerking, sending apps to biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:30 am

Hey all,

I clerked for two years, went back to the biglaw firm where I summered for a year, then clerked again for two more years. I am now applying for biglaw jobs, not looking to go back to the firm that I summered at. I know that I will only be getting two years total of class credit for clerking (and maybe one year of additional credit for my time in biglaw). Should I acknowledge in my cover letters that I understand I will be coming in at a lower class year or should I just leave that discussion for later and assume they know that I'm not expecting to come in as a sixth year?

Thanks.

Npret

Gold

Re: Four years of clerking, sending apps to biglaw

Post by Npret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

I clerked for two years, went back to the biglaw firm where I summered for a year, then clerked again for two more years. I am now applying for biglaw jobs, not looking to go back to the firm that I summered at. I know that I will only be getting two years total of class credit for clerking (and maybe one year of additional credit for my time in biglaw). Should I acknowledge in my cover letters that I understand I will be coming in at a lower class year or should I just leave that discussion for later and assume they know that I'm not expecting to come in as a sixth year?

Thanks.
If you expect to come in at a lower year, I would let them know. I wouldn’t assume they know your expectations.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:16 pm

My advice: Don't negotiate against yourself.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 pm

I disagree. I’d include it. All other things equal, to the extent the firms would hesitate, that would be the reason. Deal with that head-on.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:01 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:I disagree. I’d include it. All other things equal, to the extent the firms would hesitate, that would be the reason. Deal with that head-on.
Yes. OP already recognizes this will be an issue. I doubt OP will get offers to come to a brand new firm as a 6th year with only 2 years of firm experience.

Even if OP simply said they were open to discussion as to their the class year it will benefit them in getting interviews.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Yes. Npret makes a good point, particularly in his final statement. TITCR. Good luck op

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”