Another What are My Chances Post - SDNY/EDNY Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Another What are My Chances Post - SDNY/EDNY

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:10 am

I have gone back and forth in my mind many times about whether or not I even want to clerk, and I'm still not sure. But assuming I decide it's something I want, I would be curious of opinions (especially from former clerks who sort through apps) on whether you think it's even worth my time to apply.

Relevant Info:
Law School - T2 (but well respected T2, if such a thing exists)
GPA - 3.80 (Top 5% officially though cutoff was 3.70 so probably closer to top 2-3%)
Journal - Law Review (but did not have a 3L board position)
Current situation - 2nd year associate at V10 in NYC

I would be applying for the 2020 cycle, at which point I will have just finished 3 years in big law.

I'd assume if I mass applied to district courts all over the country I'd get some bites (though lmk if you think otherwise), but unfortunately due to life circumstances, I'm really only interested in SDNY/EDNY/possibly DNJ, and not a magistrate judge. I know this makes it all the more difficult but hence this post.

My instincts/research tell me I'd be insta-trash for the vast majority of judges but could get an interview or two if I got lucky.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

koval

Bronze

Re: Another What are My Chances Post - SDNY/EDNY

Post by koval » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:52 am

Is your T2 in the NYC metro area? If so, I think that you have a fighting chance at getting something in the SDNY/EDNY/DNJ.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:14 pm

OP here. Yes it is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:29 pm

This will depend if any of your recommenders have strong connections to judges in those districts. That is the make-or-breaker in most cases, and is particularly so with your stats.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”