Clerkship for bottom students Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Clerkship for bottom students

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:36 am

I'm wondering if any below median students from T-14 have successfully landed state clerkships. Would you like to share your experience? Is it an uphill battle?

For your reference, I'm a below median 2L from M/P/V/B, interested in litigation but open to other options as well. After I struck out from OCI, I've been looking into clerkship opportunities. I'm on a secondary journal. I also have decent WS and strong LOR from my 1L employer and a clinical professor. What are my chances landing a state trial/appellate court clerkship?

koval

Bronze

Re: Clerkship for bottom students

Post by koval » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:39 pm

I could see you getting a state trial-level clerkship below median from a T14. Obviously, if you're somewhere around bottom 20% then your chances go down. In my very limited experience, T14 students, by and large, avoid state trial-level clerkships. The fact that you go to a T14 should provide a nice boost to overcome the fact that your grades aren't good.

That being said, if you struck out at OCI in part because of your interviewing skills I'd be worried about that and would try to improve on your interview skills before applying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:55 pm

I clerked in a state COA and having a T14 pedigree was uncommon and seemed to go a long way. I can’t say I know exactly what those clerks’ grades were, but I think there are some state judges - especially in states that don’t have a local T14 - who’d look at your app. Especially if you have any local ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm wondering if any below median students from T-14 have successfully landed state clerkships. Would you like to share your experience? Is it an uphill battle?

For your reference, I'm a below median 2L from M/P/V/B, interested in litigation but open to other options as well. After I struck out from OCI, I've been looking into clerkship opportunities. I'm on a secondary journal. I also have decent WS and strong LOR from my 1L employer and a clinical professor. What are my chances landing a state trial/appellate court clerkship?
In the same situation and wondering if I would have a shot at a federal district court clerkship.

koval

Bronze

Post by koval » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm wondering if any below median students from T-14 have successfully landed state clerkships. Would you like to share your experience? Is it an uphill battle?

In the same situation and wondering if I would have a shot at a federal district court clerkship.
This is going to sound harsh, but below median at a generic T14 gives you almost no shot at an A3 clerkship. You may be able to swing a magistrate clerkship somewhere random and, like I told OP, you may have a shot at a state-court clerkship. But, IMO, you just don't have the grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”