“Noncompetitve” federal clerkship advice Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

“Noncompetitve” federal clerkship advice

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:37 pm

I have been applying to fed. Clerkships In Noncompetitve cities but in good districts (EDPA, for example). I am curious if in the event I accept offer, the odds of entering north jersey or nyc market with EDPA clerkship not from Philadelphia.

I graduated top twenty percent from state u, mock trial, journal etc. I have a state appellate clerkship under my belt and work for a 50 person law firm with offices throughout state.

Any analysis appreciated.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: “Noncompetitve” federal clerkship advice

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been applying to fed. Clerkships In Noncompetitve cities but in good districts (EDPA, for example). I am curious if in the event I accept offer, the odds of entering north jersey or nyc market with EDPA clerkship not from Philadelphia.

I graduated top twenty percent from state u, mock trial, journal etc. I have a state appellate clerkship under my belt and work for a 50 person law firm with offices throughout state.

Any analysis appreciated.
A clerkship is a clerkship, with few exceptions, and with the caveat that a circuit court clerkship will generally take you farther than ~90-95% of district court clerkships. That said, the common wisdom in the post-clerkship hiring threads, which I encourage you to read, has been that a district court cl`erkship does not entail a huge boost for biglaw hiring (which I assume is what you're asking about, at least as to NYC). Rather the experience seems to be that most people found themselves about as employable for biglaw as they were before their clerkship. One thing I can't opine on is legal hiring in north jersey.

koval

Bronze

Re: “Noncompetitve” federal clerkship advice

Post by koval » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:18 am

From my experience, unless you already have biglaw on your resume, you won't get biglaw in a major market (i.e., NYC, DC, Chicago, LA) with a district-court clerkship.

If I were you, I'd try to use your clerkship, wherever it is to get a large law firm in the place that you clerked, or to get some sort of more desirable federal government job in the place that you clerked.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”