Clerkship Chances -- Median Grades @ T10 Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
exitdoesnotexist

New

Clerkship Chances -- Median Grades @ T10

Post by exitdoesnotexist » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:31 am

Hi Everyone,

As the title states, I have median grades at a T10. I'm on law review and ed board for a secondary journal. I'm also a first generation student, first generation citizen, and a URM (MA). I'm planning to work public interest or at PD's office after law school and my resume screams that. I also have a full scholarship, I don't know if anyone would care, but it has come up in interviews before. I'm a 2L.

I'm open to going to anywhere for a district clerkship. I'm fairly sure it would be a waste of my time to apply for COA clerkships, but please me let me know if I'm wrong.

I did a year of service where I had projects in various parts of the country that are much less competitive clerkship wise and am hoping that might allow me to make a connection with some of those judges. Would like to hear people's opinions on whether a few months in a location doing a service project could be considered a meaningful tie?

Any perspective on strategy or chances is greatly appreciated. Part of my issue is I don't know how many eggs I want to place in the clerkship basket knowing that I could use that time/energy to apply for fellowships/post grad jobs.

Thanks in advance.

TexasENG

Silver

Re: Clerkship Chances -- Median Grades @ T10

Post by TexasENG » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:02 pm

exitdoesnotexist wrote:Hi Everyone,

As the title states, I have median grades at a T10. I'm on law review and ed board for a secondary journal. I'm also a first generation student, first generation citizen, and a URM (MA). I'm planning to work public interest or at PD's office after law school and my resume screams that. I also have a full scholarship, I don't know if anyone would care, but it has come up in interviews before. I'm a 2L.

I'm open to going to anywhere for a district clerkship. I'm fairly sure it would be a waste of my time to apply for COA clerkships, but please me let me know if I'm wrong.

I did a year of service where I had projects in various parts of the country that are much less competitive clerkship wise and am hoping that might allow me to make a connection with some of those judges. Would like to hear people's opinions on whether a few months in a location doing a service project could be considered a meaningful tie?

Any perspective on strategy or chances is greatly appreciated. Part of my issue is I don't know how many eggs I want to place in the clerkship basket knowing that I could use that time/energy to apply for fellowships/post grad jobs.

Thanks in advance.
Just to start off. I'm in a similar situation at a similar school.

Go to your clerkship office. Your office will likely have a book of past clerks from the school at every judge and their stats (GPA, extras, etc.). A lot of clerking can depend on your schools pull and judges familiarity with your school. If you are median at a T10, you can likely pull a clerkship somewhere, but you'll need to apply broadly. You are likely not competitive for the most desirable 'ships (i.e. SDNY, but it doesn't sound like that is your goal).

As a 2L, your grades will still matter, and if you can get your GPA into the 3.5+ range it makes a big difference in your options (at least at my school).

Good luck!

lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Clerkship Chances -- Median Grades @ T10

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:29 pm

exitdoesnotexist wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Here are my thoughts as a current clerk who was very involved in the hiring process:
1. Put a lot of work into applying for clerkships. Apply widely. You have a chance. You can put a lot of effort into it without taking eggs out of any other basket. You're a 2L. You have plenty of time.

2. Yes, doing a few months in a location will make some difference. If you can sell any connection to a location that cares about ties, it will earn you points.

3. I recommend noting in your cover letter that you're a first-generation student. I can only speak for myself, but it's something that stands out to me and impresses my judge. Some judges/clerks may not care, but it's important to earn points where you can.

It's always hard to speculate on chances, but you have a shot. It's worth trying.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”