Advice on chances/timeline for applying to CoA clerkships? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Advice on chances/timeline for applying to CoA clerkships?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Hey folks, would greatly appreciate any feedback as to (1) whether I have a shot at CoA clerkships (I'm happy to go literally anywhere in flyover country or otherwise), and (2) whether I should go ahead and apply now to off-plan judges or wait for another semester or two of grades and then apply on-plan over summer 2019.

Here's a bit about me:
- 2L (Class of 2020)
- Top 5-10% at a T1
- Law Review
- 1L SA at V10 (NY), 2L SA set for A&P/Wilmer/Covington (DC)
- Technical background (computational genomics)
- Two years of work experience pre-JD (1yr doing cancer research, 1 yr working as a paralegal at a small firm)
- Diverse (Asian), if that matters

I'll add a disclaimer that while I have a technical background, I'm not looking to go into patent law and am therefore not interested in applying to the Federal Circuit. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Advice on chances/timeline for applying to CoA clerkships?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:59 pm

You'd have a good chance with my COA judge, assuming your writing is good. I don't see any harm in applying now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:20 pm

I think this depends a little on where you are in the T1. I attended a lower T1 and the people who got COAs right out of law school were invariably in the top 5 people in the class, not the top 5-10%. Now, clerkship hiring is idiosyncratic enough, you may well find a judge who will hire you (that's not meant to sound disparaging - your qualifications are really good overall), but it's hard to predict.

If you're willing to do a DCt clerkship first, I know a lot of people for whom this was a good way to become more competitive for COAs.

Otherwise, the usual advice: focus on judges who are alumni of your school/have hired from your school before, see if you can get any profs to make calls for you.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think this depends a little on where you are in the T1. I attended a lower T1 and the people who got COAs right out of law school were invariably in the top 5 people in the class, not the top 5-10%. Now, clerkship hiring is idiosyncratic enough, you may well find a judge who will hire you (that's not meant to sound disparaging - your qualifications are really good overall), but it's hard to predict.

If you're willing to do a DCt clerkship first, I know a lot of people for whom this was a good way to become more competitive for COAs.

Otherwise, the usual advice: focus on judges who are alumni of your school/have hired from your school before, see if you can get any profs to make calls for you.
Gonna second this advice. I was top 5 in my class at a lower T1, and it took me over a year of applying to land a COA clerkship. I was applying with a D. Ct. clerkship on my resume and later had a strong LOR from my D. Ct. judge (got my clerkship maybe 6 months after getting the letter; I landed almost all my interviews after getting that LOR). I did get some interviews, but it certainly wasn't easy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 am

OP here. Thanks for the feedback y'all! I'll go ahead and send off the first wave of CoA apps and start looking into district court clerkships as well in the meantime.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”