CA fed clerkship w/o ties? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

CA fed clerkship w/o ties?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:01 am

After another trip to LA, I’ve confirmed that I really want to live there. Unfortunately, this realization has come after already accepting a biglaw offer elsewhere (I’m a 3L set to work at a V50 law firm in Chicago next year). I have always planned on pursuing a clerkship, and now see this as a possible way to get out west. I originally planned to apply any and everywhere to enhance my chances, but now I’m focused on CA for a 2020/2021 clerkship.

I hear about how competitive CDCA clerkships are, but is this true among all judges? Do EDCA & SDCA clerkships offer the same kind of post-clerkship employment opportunities in LA? Also, will my lack of connections be excluding for CDCA or any other CA clerkships?

Stats:
T14, dcng
3.60-3.65 gpa
Secondary Journal, board position
1-2 years biglaw work experience by the start date

Any insight is appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: CA fed clerkship w/o ties?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Anecdotally (I was a CD Cal clerk a couple years ago who was involved in clerk hiring), we didn't care about CA-ties so long as you had some reason for wanting to come to SoCal. Unlike a SoCal law firm who wants to hire people who are going to stick around for at least the short-to-medium term, judges know that you are going to leave them after a year (duh), and it doesn't matter so much that you might leave California.

I think the bigger hurdle to overcome will be that a lot of CD Cal judges seem to hire heavily from California schools, just because that's who they are familiar with. You might try to find a way to get your application highlighted/pulled from the stack (have a professor call, work your connections, send paper applications, etc.)

Redamon1

Bronze

Re: CA fed clerkship w/o ties?

Post by Redamon1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:05 pm

I don't think CA ties are as important for clerkships as they are for big law OCI. Sounds like you have the grades to be competitive. Apply broadly, and you should get some interviews.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”