Southern + Western Districts of TX Question Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Southern + Western Districts of TX Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:37 am

Question about the magistrates and judges in these districts: how frequently are non-Texans hired for clerkships? No Texan connections whatsoever (not born/educated in TX, non-Texan law school, etc.).

Also, I have two somewhat related questions: 1) how idiosyncratic is Texas law and the Texas legal community; and 2) I read recently that UBE adoption was suggested by the TX Bar Examination Task Force - how much weight does this suggestion carry?

Basically, I'm wondering how well I would fit professionally in Texas and how easy it would be to either stay or leave.

Happy to message via PM.

cantdecide

New

Re: Southern + Western Districts of TX Question

Post by cantdecide » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:37 pm

I'm a current clerk for a TX district judge, interned for a judge in the WDTX, and interviewed with judges in both of these districts. Most of the clerks I met or knew of had some kind of Texas connection, but not all did. A lot of the judges in these districts attended Texas law schools (and obviously have Texas ties), and recruit from Texas schools. I think good credentials can obviously overcome that, but you'll still likely face the 'why Texas' question in an interview. I've heard a lot of judges in bumfuck West Texas and along the border definitely look for (or even require) ties -- they want to know that if they're bringing you to Del Rio, or Midland, or Laredo, that you're not going to hate your life when you get there.

I can't really speak to idiosyncrasies of Texas law or the legal community, because it's the only place I've had any legal experience. We do say voir dire like voor dyer, so there's that. I also can't speak to how much weight the UBE suggestion carries, but I wouldn't hold my breath that the UBE will be implemented any time soon. I've heard that it could be 5 years or so before the test changes in any substantive way, but you never know.

Also hard to say how you would fit professionally without hearing more about you. What city are you trying to go to? What do you want to do there? Have you ever visited Texas? Houston would probably be the easiest city to break in to, and I don't think firms there care much about ties outside thinking someone may be a flight risk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:36 pm

Current clerk in the WDTX. I'd estimate that it's around 50/50 for clerks with Texas ties vs. clerks from out of state for the D. Ct. judges. With the magistrates, the ones in my courthouse are very open to clerks from out of state. I am from out of state. I work for a D. Ct. judge.

I haven't noticed anything odd about the Texas legal community. Seems pretty typical to me. Texas law seems normal too for the most part. There are some idiosyncrasies if you're coming from a more liberal state. Obviously, the 5th Circuit is super conservative. I didn't take the Texas Bar, so I am no help there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:57 pm

OP here: Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

I have never been to Texas. For clerking, I don't have much of preference in regards to city. The "why Texas" answer is that I've been told the criminal docket is overwhelming at these districts due to cross-border issues (drugs, immigration). My end goal after clerking is to be either a prosecutor or PD.

I've lived most my life in smaller towns, so moving to say Del Rio with 40k people is not an issue for me. I've also lived in Alabama, so 110+ degree heat with humidity is something I remember.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

I have never been to Texas. For clerking, I don't have much of preference in regards to city. The "why Texas" answer is that I've been told the criminal docket is overwhelming at these districts due to cross-border issues (drugs, immigration). My end goal after clerking is to be either a prosecutor or PD.

I've lived most my life in smaller towns, so moving to say Del Rio with 40k people is not an issue for me. I've also lived in Alabama, so 110+ degree heat with humidity is something I remember.
El Paso and Del Rio are both very open to clerks from outside of Texas. However, the amount of criminal work you'll do will depend on the judge. And if you're very liberal, you might not be the best fit with Judge Moses in Del Rio. The good news is that the WDTX has a lot of AUSA and AFPD openings, so if you do clerk there, you can likely jump into work as an AUSA or AFPD (if that's your goal) without too long of a wait. I know of a former clerk currently working as an AUSA who was hired only a few months after clerking and another clerk who was hired immediately out of the clerkship to work as an AFPD. I highly recommend you get some practical trial experience while in LS if that's your goal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:47 pm

Sounds like el paso would be a good fit. I believe there are 5 article III judges in that courthouse, and the docket is predominantly criminal and immigration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sounds like el paso would be a good fit. I believe there are 5 article III judges in that courthouse, and the docket is predominantly criminal and immigration.
El Paso is a possibility. However, it depends on the judge how involved in criminal work the clerk will be. I know the El Paso judges pretty well. If you'd like to know more, let me know, OP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:52 am

OP here: Thanks again for the info.

Politics aren't too much of a concern for me, as I I spent my 1L summer (current 2L) as a judicial intern and politics only came up at lunch twice. Never in discussions about cases. Obviously clerks see more than interns, so if politics do come up in chambers, I'm not liberal.

Would Midland be worth my time for criminal law? Just curious.

I think it might be a good idea to apply to the AUSA/Fed PD in El Paso and Del Rio for my 2L summer. I would get to know the area a little bit and I would have a connection. That way, jumping into a totally new state and job wouldn't be overwhelming if I clerk.

I don't have any questions about specific judges just yet, but I'll keep you guys in mind if I do!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”