Non-"Litigation" BigLaw Practice and Possible Future Clerkship Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ChrisCooley

New

Non-"Litigation" BigLaw Practice and Possible Future Clerkship

Post by ChrisCooley » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm a recent law school graduate that is about to start working as an associate in a BigLaw Bankruptcy/Reorganization practice. My question is whether pigeonholing myself into this particular practice group will hurt any chance I might have had at clerking after practicing for a bit (and not just for a bankruptcy judge). Obviously, I took the job and selected the practice group because I wanted it and am interested in corporate bankruptcy work, so I won't be heartbroken if judges won't hire me because I'm not in a generalized "Litigation" practice group. That being said, I think I would be interested in clerking as I interned with a district judge and I enjoyed that experience. Does anyone have any advice or perspective on this?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Non-"Litigation" BigLaw Practice and Possible Future Clerkship

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:16 pm

I don't think this hurts you, or not much. We never really weighed differently folks who did general civil litigation vs. white collar or some other other specialty (despite white collar, for instance, being very very different from general lit). (As a caveat to this, if an applicant had been out of school for longer than the norm (1-3 years), we might think a little harder about their ability to adjust or to issue spot, for instance, federal jurisdictional issues that didn't arise in their practice.) Some chambers might feel differently.

At the interview stage you'll probably be asked why you want to do a D.Ct. or COA clerkship rather than a BK clerkship. Be ready for that.

I take it from your question you're less interested in clerking for a BK judge in one of the districts with lots of corporate BK work than doing a district court or COA clerkship? I'm not in bankruptcy myself but I assume that'd be more helpful to you careerwise.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”