Kavanaugh Reports and Clerkship Placement Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Kavanaugh Reports and Clerkship Placement

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Is anyone else, especially those clerking/those who have gone through the application process, surprised by the recent revelations about Rubenfeld/Chua's placement of clerks with Kavanaugh from YLS? I'm wondering if people think this kind of thing is isolated or widespread.

The report seems to suggests that in some cases that application process is not only unfair and deeply screwed up, but is also subject to manipulation by influential professors and alumni. Not just the obvious sexism problems, the fact that apparently everyone knew what Kozinski was doing, etc., but also the idea that loyalty is rewarded, and you have to please/grovel at the feet of the right people for a certain type of clerkship to work out. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... e-amy-chua. I know nothing will change (hence this anonymous post). Interested to hear people's thoughts in here. Are these problems isolated or widespread?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: Kavanaugh Reports and Clerkship Placement

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:34 pm

If what you're asking is whether much clerkship hiring is deeply relationship driven rather than a kind of abstract ideal of a meritocratic job market, especially for top feeders, then the answer is no, there's no surprise there. I'm not even sure why you're breathlessly asking about it—this is well known.

As an aside, I had to LOL at Chua allegedly saying that Kavanaugh's female clerks look like models. If she did say that, I think the comment has more to do with Chua than Kavanaugh or his hiring practices. There are judges with noted predilections in hiring female clerks; I never heard Kavanaugh's name mentioned in that conversation before, and based on the former Kavanaugh clerks I've met, they don't all "look like models." In fact, none of the ones I've met look like models.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Yes. Relationships make a massive difference for competitive clerkships. Obviously, you generally have to have the credentials, but outside of the credentials, they're generally the most important thing.

As for Kavanaugh, Zina Bash is quite attractive. Just saying. :wink:

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:50 pm

Agree with the takes here - pretty much the only effective way to get your app pulled from the stack for a clerkship that competitive is to have absolutely stellar credentials or connections, usually both. Otherwise, I suppose it's possible that a prof could condition a recommendation on something more than just "I know who you are and I know you'll do great work," like loyalty or something, but since the article only makes passing reference to Chua rewarding loyalty, it's hard to say whether she's doing anything outside the norm, never mind whether it might be widespread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”