2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:13 pm

There's nothing weird about asking your current judge to be a reference for firms, right?

MichelleMichelle

New

Post by MichelleMichelle » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There's nothing weird about asking your current judge to be a reference for firms, right?
Nothing weird at all. My judge volunteered to be a reference without my asking, but he did mention that he prefers to give references on the phone and not by letter. The other judge I clerked for also felt this way re phone vs letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:52 pm

Does anyone know if W&C or Cravath consider candidates who did not summer with them but are coming off of a clerkship straight from law school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if W&C or Cravath consider candidates who did not summer with them but are coming off of a clerkship straight from law school?
Both do.

StanLaw2017

New

Post by StanLaw2017 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:04 am

My husband clerked for the NY Court of Appeals after graduation 3 years ago, I got one after passing NY. Wrapped up this last year, plan on applying within next month!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gettingit

New

Post by gettingit » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:28 am

Late to the application game, but did those of you who have applied mail or email your applications directly to the recruiting attorney? I notice some firms mention they accept and welcome applications from clerks but then the website does not have a link to apply.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:13 am

Post-callback ding from Kellogg ~1 week after CB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Post-callback ding from Kellogg ~1 week after CB.
Ditto.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ditto.
We didn't want the 175k anyways, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Looking for advice:

I am clerking at a reputable SSC and have a pretty strong resume - top 5% at a t14 and one year work experience at a v10 in NYC.

I sent out about 30 applications over last week to NYC firms and got no answers at all from any of them, except two ‘we don’t have openings for you right now.’ My old firm said they ‘don’t know their needs right now’ but will get back to me. Is this the point where I start looking for back up options like midsized firms in my local market? The pay difference between here and NYC is notable, but I don’t want to miss out on the good options here if I’ve missed the boat in NYC.

Honestly very frustrated - my school heavily encouraged me to clerk and now I’m learning that returning to my old firm or even getting a comparable job is not guaranteed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:43 pm

If you just applied last week, I think it's far too early to read anything into the responses you've received or lack thereof. As you can see from this thread, very few firms have begun interviewing at this point. Most of us are just in a holding pattern. I haven't looked through old threads enough to know when exactly we should expect things to ramp up, but I think for now it's just a matter of staying patient.
Anonymous User wrote:Looking for advice:

I am clerking at a reputable SSC and have a pretty strong resume - top 5% at a t14 and one year work experience at a v10 in NYC.

I sent out about 30 applications over last week to NYC firms and got no answers at all from any of them, except two ‘we don’t have openings for you right now.’ My old firm said they ‘don’t know their needs right now’ but will get back to me. Is this the point where I start looking for back up options like midsized firms in my local market? The pay difference between here and NYC is notable, but I don’t want to miss out on the good options here if I’ve missed the boat in NYC.

Honestly very frustrated - my school heavily encouraged me to clerk and now I’m learning that returning to my old firm or even getting a comparable job is not guaranteed.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:15 pm

My experience has been that the only firms that get back to you quickly are dings (often because they just don't have a spot). I'd wait another couple weeks before freaking out.

Although, it's never a bad idea to send out more apps if you want to be safe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ditto.
I sent in application materials and never heard back from them, I'm guessing they are done hiring already and just never bothered to make that clear. I believe that's also true with some New York elite boutiques. Although I know Kobre & Kim is having their clerkship reception next week, which doesn't make sense if they're done hiring already? Who knows.....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ditto.
I sent in application materials and never heard back from them, I'm guessing they are done hiring already and just never bothered to make that clear. I believe that's also true with some New York elite boutiques. Although I know Kobre & Kim is having their clerkship reception next week, which doesn't make sense if they're done hiring already? Who knows.....
What makes you think this is true for NYC boutiques?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for advice:

I agree it's a little early to worry about not getting something in NYC, but if you want to keep the door open in your local market, I'd go ahead and start applying there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:03 pm

Got contacted by a firm last Wednesday (the 23rd) to set up a date to interview during the week of February 4th. I sent a list of dates/times I'd be available that week and the recruiting contact indicated that they'd circle back to me with the date and time ASAP, but I haven't heard from them since. Would it be worthwhile to check in with them tomorrow, or would it just be annoying?

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got contacted by a firm last Wednesday (the 23rd) to set up a date to interview during the week of February 4th. I sent a list of dates/times I'd be available that week and the recruiting contact indicated that they'd circle back to me with the date and time ASAP, but I haven't heard from them since. Would it be worthwhile to check in with them tomorrow, or would it just be annoying?
I think checking in tomorrow is appropriate. If it's in a different city from where you are clerking I'd email today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:27 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got contacted by a firm last Wednesday (the 23rd) to set up a date to interview during the week of February 4th. I sent a list of dates/times I'd be available that week and the recruiting contact indicated that they'd circle back to me with the date and time ASAP, but I haven't heard from them since. Would it be worthwhile to check in with them tomorrow, or would it just be annoying?
I think checking in tomorrow is appropriate. If it's in a different city from where you are clerking I'd email today.
Just following up on this (as it's almost close of business on Friday), I emailed the recruiting person this past Wednesday (a full week after my first contact with her) and I still haven't heard back. If the interviews are still supposed to be next week, this seems...short notice and maybe a little unprofessional? Very weird!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:10 pm

I applied to large firms in NYC about a month ago and for the most part, I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know how long it takes for recruiting directors to respond to applications? Should I be following up with them or is waiting just part of the process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Has anyone applied to Weil or Fried Frank? Any idea where they are in the hiring process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone applied to Weil or Fried Frank? Any idea where they are in the hiring process?
I can't say anything with certainty re: Weil--but I'm posting this from a reception they hosted to hire clerks so they can't be done with hiring yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 am

I imagine most people on here have the same March 1 deadline to respond to your summer firms. I'm not against going back, but have other options pending I'd still prefer. What's the best way to defer making a decision? I've heard a lot of people just say their judge doesn't want them to commit until later in the clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 am

Anyone here of recent Callbacks at Wachtell or Susman Godfrey? Still waiting to hear if the latter has started/finished second-round interviewing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here of recent Callbacks at Wachtell or Susman Godfrey? Still waiting to hear if the latter has started/finished second-round interviewing
Susman has been doing first round interviews for several weeks now and expects to begin second round interviews at the end of this month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:26 pm

I am in a difficult position where I have another clerkship lined up for a year after I finish my first one. Am I obligated to let firms know this? I’m not planning to return to big law after the second clerkship but want to make some of that $$$ before I turn to a new career.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”