2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:20 am

Anyone else been told they can’t take off during the shutdown? Our district was told no one could take any time off during the shutdown or else they would be furloughed. Not sure how to schedule interviews around that.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else been told they can’t take off during the shutdown? Our district was told no one could take any time off during the shutdown or else they would be furloughed. Not sure how to schedule interviews around that.
I'm at a state court so don't have the same concerns. But could you ask your judge if you could "work remotely" that day? If not I'm sure firms would understand and either let you do interviews through Skype etc. or (more likely) delay a bit. This can't go on too much longer.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else been told they can’t take off during the shutdown? Our district was told no one could take any time off during the shutdown or else they would be furloughed. Not sure how to schedule interviews around that.
Can’t you just take a day off and be furloughed for a day? And are that many firms doing interviews right now? I’d also think firms would understand the issue and be willing to conduct interviews after the shutdown ends - if the whole point is to hire clerks, then they could accommodate that since it’s not like they’re expecting a hire to come on board until the fall anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:19 pm

Man, things really seem to be crawling along. Has anybody heard anything or had any callbacks or interviews in Chicago?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:03 pm

I have not started sending apps to biglaw firms - am I screwed? I very recently had a change of heart and want to return to biglaw. I did biglaw in NYC 2 years before my clerkship, so I think I have the stats/credentials, but I am more concerned with timing and opportunities at this point. I am digging through these threads for how to get up to speed, but any crash course-like advice would be appreciated!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:14 pm

nixy wrote: Can’t you just take a day off and be furloughed for a day? And are that many firms doing interviews right now? I’d also think firms would understand the issue and be willing to conduct interviews after the shutdown ends - if the whole point is to hire clerks, then they could accommodate that since it’s not like they’re expecting a hire to come on board until the fall anyway.
The problem is I wouldn't be furloughed for a day, I would be furloughed for the rest of the shutdown. Not all jobs are necessarily hiring only clerks, and I don't even know if this is a policy in other districts. I wouldn't want to miss out on anything because another candidate is able to interview soon, and I can't until who knows when. The suggestion to "telework" that day is a good idea though. I haven't run into a problem yet, but I was interested to know if anyone else had.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote: Can’t you just take a day off and be furloughed for a day? And are that many firms doing interviews right now? I’d also think firms would understand the issue and be willing to conduct interviews after the shutdown ends - if the whole point is to hire clerks, then they could accommodate that since it’s not like they’re expecting a hire to come on board until the fall anyway.
The problem is I wouldn't be furloughed for a day, I would be furloughed for the rest of the shutdown. Not all jobs are necessarily hiring only clerks, and I don't even know if this is a policy in other districts. I wouldn't want to miss out on anything because another candidate is able to interview soon, and I can't until who knows when. The suggestion to "telework" that day is a good idea though. I haven't run into a problem yet, but I was interested to know if anyone else had.
Ah. Offices I know where people are required to work without pay are letting people take a day off and furloughing them for just that day (since they can’t take leave), then putting them back on excepted status when they’re back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have not started sending apps to biglaw firms - am I screwed? I very recently had a change of heart and want to return to biglaw. I did biglaw in NYC 2 years before my clerkship, so I think I have the stats/credentials, but I am more concerned with timing and opportunities at this point. I am digging through these threads for how to get up to speed, but any crash course-like advice would be appreciated!
I sure hope you're not screwed, because I just started applying myself. Others should weigh in as well, but my impression is that most biglaw firms don't start looking at apps until around January. Possible you missed the boat with a handful of very early movers, but I haven't heard of many interviews taking place yet, and certainly not of many offers being extended.

yooobagz

New

Post by yooobagz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:01 pm

^Agreed with the poster above. Based on threads from previous years and what seems to be happening right now, it doesn't look like many firms have started interviewing or sending out offers. Still time to get in applications, though so far it's a real, "hurry up and wait," situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:32 am

Is the standard rate for clerkship bonuses still 50/70k? Or has there been some upward movement in recent months/years given the economy and general big law salary increases?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:09 am

Got dinged post-callback for my #1 choice--MTO. Sad day.

MichelleMichelle

New

Post by MichelleMichelle » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Man, things really seem to be crawling along. Has anybody heard anything or had any callbacks or interviews in Chicago?
Also interested. Any Chicago movement out there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:28 am

MichelleMichelle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Man, things really seem to be crawling along. Has anybody heard anything or had any callbacks or interviews in Chicago?
Also interested. Any Chicago movement out there?
Same, but for Houston? Radio silence so far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is the standard rate for clerkship bonuses still 50/70k? Or has there been some upward movement in recent months/years given the economy and general big law salary increases?
Just one data point but I'm a current two-year district court clerk who accepted an offer from a V50 firm with 70k bonus. No upward movement for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the standard rate for clerkship bonuses still 50/70k? Or has there been some upward movement in recent months/years given the economy and general big law salary increases?
Just one data point but I'm a current two-year district court clerk who accepted an offer from a V50 firm with 70k bonus. No upward movement for me.
Another data point: got 50k for one two year clerkship. From talking to friends, I think the market is mostly 50k w/ a handful at 70k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Another data point: got 50k for one two year clerkship. From talking to friends, I think the market is mostly 50k w/ a handful at 70k.
70k is standard for 2 clerkships, one usually an appellate or SSC clerkship. There isn’t quite as firm a standard for a single 2 year clerkship, and it’s likely negotiable

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:21 am

I accepted an offer from my SA firm after my 2L summer, and a couple months later I received a District court clerkship to begin after graduation. I deferred my accepted offer at the SA firm. Is it taboo to renege on an accepted offer for a better, post-clerkship firm? My school is is vehemently against this, arguing that the school has strong ties to this firm for student placement in their SA program and it would be a bad to start my legal career “breaking a promise.” Personally, I want to go to a better firm to maximize exit opportunities into government, but I don’t want to burn bridges with some professors at my school. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer from my SA firm after my 2L summer, and a couple months later I received a District court clerkship to begin after graduation. I deferred my accepted offer at the SA firm. Is it taboo to renege on an accepted offer for a better, post-clerkship firm? My school is is vehemently against this, arguing that the school has strong ties to this firm for student placement in their SA program and it would be a bad to start my legal career “breaking a promise.” Personally, I want to go to a better firm to maximize exit opportunities into government, but I don’t want to burn bridges with some professors at my school. Thoughts would be appreciated.
It's extremely common to go to a different firm after clerking. I can see if you're at a school that doesn't have strong OCI placement, the school might seek to protect that in this way, but again, it is an extremely common practice (it's not like your SA firm isn't going to be able to replace you, almost instantly). And are when you say that your school is vehemently against doing this, do you mean the whole school or do you mean the career services office? I obviously don't know this for certain, but I'd be surprised if most profs were even aware the school took this policy.

(Sorry, accidental anon - this is nixy)

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Echoing Nixby, career services has a different perspective than you. The firm won't particularly care (don't ever expect to get hired by them again, but I wouldn't expect them to badmouth you to other firms or something. If you are going for a very small market the approach might be different, but if you are in a larger one just take the better firm. The sooner you let them know the better though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer from my SA firm after my 2L summer, and a couple months later I received a District court clerkship to begin after graduation. I deferred my accepted offer at the SA firm. Is it taboo to renege on an accepted offer for a better, post-clerkship firm? My school is is vehemently against this, arguing that the school has strong ties to this firm for student placement in their SA program and it would be a bad to start my legal career “breaking a promise.” Personally, I want to go to a better firm to maximize exit opportunities into government, but I don’t want to burn bridges with some professors at my school. Thoughts would be appreciated.
It's extremely common to go to a different firm after clerking. I can see if you're at a school that doesn't have strong OCI placement, the school might seek to protect that in this way, but again, it is an extremely common practice (it's not like your SA firm isn't going to be able to replace you, almost instantly). And are when you say that your school is vehemently against doing this, do you mean the whole school or do you mean the career services office? I obviously don't know this for certain, but I'd be surprised if most profs were even aware the school took this policy.

(Sorry, accidental anon - this is nixy)
This is the original poster. Maintaining anon for obvious reasons.

My law school is TT and doesn’t have strong OCI placement, so generally only L Rev and a few others students land Biglaw 2L summer. This is the position of the career services office, but also the position of the Dean, associate dean, and the professor I RA’d for who was instrumental in helping me out on the clerkship front as well. I maintained strong relationships with them since the end of 1L. The Dean and others did go to bat for me with this firm to make sure I landed a Biglaw job when I was struggling despite my high class ranking, so they feel that me reneging would be breaking a promise.

It’s troubling because I want to do what’s best for my career in the long term, but also maintain relationships with my alma mater. I suppose I’ll see how the post-clerkship recruitment season pans out, since this may be a moot point in the event I’m no offered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Auxilio wrote:Echoing Nixby, career services has a different perspective than you. The firm won't particularly care (don't ever expect to get hired by them again, but I wouldn't expect them to badmouth you to other firms or something. If you are going for a very small market the approach might be different, but if you are in a larger one just take the better firm. The sooner you let them know the better though.
Original poster again. Just want to clarify that this is in a major market. My SA firm that I'm considering reneging on is a V30 with no special connections to government, and the firms I'm primarily applying to are smaller litigation boutiques with better exit opportunities.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:36 am

OutoftheWoods wrote:What's a reasonable amount of time to take off after clerkships? Wherever I end up, I kinda wanted to start the first week of October, which would be 3 weeks from my clerkship end date. But I don't want to lock myself out of positions. I mean, surely it's reasonable to at least get a week off. I'd rather lock in a trip now, or else I really don't have an "excuse" for starting later whenever I arrange for my start date. This is also assuming I have a job by then :cry:
I finished at the end of August and didn't start until October. I had friends that finished around the same time and didn't start until Nov/Dec.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Auxilio wrote:Echoing Nixby, career services has a different perspective than you. The firm won't particularly care (don't ever expect to get hired by them again, but I wouldn't expect them to badmouth you to other firms or something. If you are going for a very small market the approach might be different, but if you are in a larger one just take the better firm. The sooner you let them know the better though.
Original poster again. Just want to clarify that this is in a major market. My SA firm that I'm considering reneging on is a V30 with no special connections to government, and the firms I'm primarily applying to are smaller litigation boutiques with better exit opportunities.
The Dean and career services are asking you to put the school and future students above your own career. They would not do the same for you. You can and should work at exactly the place you want to work. You’ve earned it. It’s not a thing to “promise” to work somewhere that no longer aligns with your career goals (which are allowed to evolve with time and new information). Go to the new firm and don’t look back.

yooobagz

New

Post by yooobagz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 am

Here's what the hiring thread looked like at the same time in '17-18: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=200

Seems like movement was pretty minimal around late-January last cycle as well. Maybe nothing too out of the ordinary for everyone experiencing radio silence?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Some screeners are happening in DC. I think it's still very early, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”