2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am in a difficult position where I have another clerkship lined up for a year after I finish my first one. Am I obligated to let firms know this? I’m not planning to return to big law after the second clerkship but want to make some of that $$$ before I turn to a new career.
You could always act as if you didn't receive the second clerkship offer until after you started at the firm (although this could be risky if you have any reason to believe that your second judge has some connection to that firm). Another thing to keep in mind, though, is that some firms condition clerkship bonuses on your agreement to remain at the firm for a specified period of time (usually 1-2 years). So if you don't tell them, accept the clerkship bonus, and then leave before the 1-2 year time frame is up, the firm could potentially tell you to repay the bonus.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am in a difficult position where I have another clerkship lined up for a year after I finish my first one. Am I obligated to let firms know this? I’m not planning to return to big law after the second clerkship but want to make some of that $$$ before I turn to a new career.
You could always act as if you didn't receive the second clerkship offer until after you started at the firm (although this could be risky if you have any reason to believe that your second judge has some connection to that firm). Another thing to keep in mind, though, is that some firms condition clerkship bonuses on your agreement to remain at the firm for a specified period of time (usually 1-2 years). So if you don't tell them, accept the clerkship bonus, and then leave before the 1-2 year time frame is up, the firm could potentially tell you to repay the bonus.
Good advice. The judge doesn’t care, but I honestly wish I could waive the bonus without tipping my hand. It’s basically like a 13000 dollar fine since I assume they don’t factor in that the bonus was taxed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Hueston Hennigan?

I got told they'd get back to me in a couple days, that was over a week ago. Assuming ding but still.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:19 am

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Good advice. The judge doesn’t care, but I honestly wish I could waive the bonus without tipping my hand. It’s basically like a 13000 dollar fine since I assume they don’t factor in that the bonus was taxed
I know or multiple firms that allow you to receive the bonus as increased comp each paycheck rather than a lump sum up front. You might ask about that when time comes and just cite vague "tax reasons."

Edit: accidental anon. Citizen Genet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am

Any bankruptcy clerks with movement?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any bankruptcy clerks with movement?
Rejected by Arnold & Porter after applying some time ago. At least it's nice to hear something. Otherwise, basically radio silence which is...concerning?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any bankruptcy clerks with movement?
Rejected by Arnold & Porter after applying some time ago. At least it's nice to hear something. Otherwise, basically radio silence which is...concerning?
I’m a DE/SDNY BK clerk and there has definitely been some movement—interviews and offers—in NY and Chicago at the bigger shops.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I’m a DE/SDNY BK clerk and there has definitely been some movement—interviews and offers—in NY and Chicago at the bigger shops.
Anon from the previous page complaining about my experience with big firm HR. I can also confirm that Kirkland (Chicago) at least has contacted people about setting up interviews, but they still haven't said anything about dates (to me) and it appears that some of my co-clerks are also having difficulty touching base with the recruiting folks as well. No idea what that's all about.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I’m a DE/SDNY BK clerk and there has definitely been some movement—interviews and offers—in NY and Chicago at the bigger shops.
Anon from the previous page complaining about my experience with big firm HR. I can also confirm that at Kirkland (Chicago) at least has contacted people about setting up interviews, but they still haven't said anything about dates (to me) and it appears that some of my co-clerks are also having difficulty touching base with the recruiting folks as well. No idea what that's all about.
Has Kirkland Chicago given out offers for BK?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anon from the previous page complaining about my experience with big firm HR. I can also confirm that at Kirkland (Chicago) at least has contacted people about setting up interviews, but they still haven't said anything about dates (to me) and it appears that some of my co-clerks are also having difficulty touching base with the recruiting folks as well. No idea what that's all about.
DE/SDNY BK clerk. Ding at Kirkland NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Damn, that doesn't bode well for the rest of us, does it? I thought DE/SDNY was THE ticket to that kind of restructuring work. Sorry to hear that you got dinged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Dings from Weil and Buckley Sandler. Should I be concerned?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dings from Weil and Buckley Sandler. Should I be concerned?
Context? Which offices? What stage of the recruitment process? General info on clerkship/CV stats?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Removed by Anon.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Some firms do not ask for a cover letter but ask for either a resume and transcript or only a resume. Do you send a cover letter anyway? Include it in the body of your email? Nothing at all? Seems strange to send a resume with nothing.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some firms do not ask for a cover letter but ask for either a resume and transcript or only a resume. Do you send a cover letter anyway? Include it in the body of your email? Nothing at all? Seems strange to send a resume with nothing.
I always send resume and transcript, I only send a cover letter if expressly asked for one--but then I put in the body of the email a very brief intro. Something like:
I'm a recent graduate of [School], currently clerking for [judge]. I am interested in working for [firm's] [practice group] at [office] after my clerkship this fall. Attached please find [stuff], let me know if anything else can be of help

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some firms do not ask for a cover letter but ask for either a resume and transcript or only a resume. Do you send a cover letter anyway? Include it in the body of your email? Nothing at all? Seems strange to send a resume with nothing.
As a default, I include a truncated cover letter in the body of the email. 1-3 paragraphs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Thoughts? I'm trying to line up the pros and cons but it's pretty close imo, so I'd appreciate some outside perspectives. Would be coming in as a 2nd-year associate.
Voting for Chicago. Better hours and possibly more opportunities as one of the few (only?) junior associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:47 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anecdotally, I was in this position and my firm did not ask for a pro-rated portion of the clerkship bonus back, despite there being language to that effect in my offer letter. As far as taxes go, if you do have to repay a part of the bonus you would just have to file an amended tax return in order to get refunded the amount of taxes that were taken out for the portion you paid back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:10 pm

I’m coming off of 2 years of clerking. I just got an offer at my first choice firm (yay!). I was certain that if I got an offer, I would come in as a first year— I have no big law experience and I’ve heard from former clerks that this firm tends to not give class year credit. They want me to come in as a member of the class of 2017. I am grateful, but also stunned and a little intimidated.

So questions: what does the class year really mean? Will I be judged against other members of my class? I am concerned that will hurt me down the road when my class-mates are way ahead of me in experience and billables. Is there a downside? Should I expect to majorly hustle when I start to catch up to my peers?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I’m coming off of 2 years of clerking. I just got an offer at my first choice firm (yay!). I was certain that if I got an offer, I would come in as a first year— I have no big law experience and I’ve heard from former clerks that this firm tends to not give class year credit. They want me to come in as a member of the class of 2017. I am grateful, but also stunned and a little intimidated.

So questions: what does the class year really mean? Will I be judged against other members of my class? I am concerned that will hurt me down the road when my class-mates are way ahead of me in experience and billables. Is there a downside? Should I expect to majorly hustle when I start to catch up to my peers?
I wouldn’t worry about it. IME, you’ll basically be treated as a first year when your first start anyway (it’s very obvious that people off two clerkships are still “new” and not expected to pick up on all the biglaw stuff right away). You will, however, be expected to get up to speed significantly faster than a first year would. But that’s not an issue as you *will* get up to speed much faster as you already have two years of very helpful and relevant experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mind if I ask, since I'm not totally familiar with the terminology, was this pre-interview or post-interview?

EDIT: Also, fwiw, Kirkland has taken down all of the "Judicial Clerk - Restructuring" postings on its website (all that's left are the litigation associate positions). Does that mean hiring is DONE or that they've got all the candidates they need for now? I'd hate to have been offered an interview, ghosted and then completely miss out, LOL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Post-callback ding from Kellogg ~1 week after CB.
Ditto.
We didn't want the 175k anyways, right?

That $175K is legit. Figuring that up-front bonus in, does Kellogg Hansen pay more than WLRK? WLRK's bonus is a % of base, but gives no clerkship bonus up-front, and that % varies every year, so it could be like 40% of base. So for the first 1-2 years as an associate, Kellogg pays more, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ditto.

That $175K is legit. Figuring that up-front bonus in, does Kellogg Hansen pay more than WLRK? WLRK's bonus is a % of base, but gives no clerkship bonus up-front, and that % varies every year, so it could be like 40% of base. So for the first 1-2 years as an associate, Kellogg pays more, right?
My co-clerk is going to Wachtell, we're pretty sure WLRK would catch up the second bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ditto.

My co-clerk is going to Wachtell, we're pretty sure WLRK would catch up the second bonus.
Sorry, by "catch up the second bonus" do you mean at WLRK the second bonus amount would most likely be large enough that the sum of the 2 years by the end would equal out to the sum of 2 years at KH? Or by "catch up" you mean there's room to negotiate your bonus at WLRK? I'm guessing you mean the first but jsut checking!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”