2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Samark45

New

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Samark45 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Rejected from WLRK. The email said they decided "we have decided not to go forward with the position." I wonder if this is just a polite way of rejecting me, personally, or that they will not actually be filling the position they were previously looking to hire.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Samark45 wrote:Rejected from WLRK. The email said they decided "we have decided not to go forward with the position." I wonder if this is just a polite way of rejecting me, personally, or that they will not actually be filling the position they were previously looking to hire.
I've noticed awkwardly vague language in the callback rejections I've gotten. Almost ready to respond, "so you're saying there's a chance?!"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:58 pm

WLRK was my first rejection in 2L OCI. I remember the line in their email "We will be happy to consider you for an associate position if you write to us again next fall." kept my mind running for a couple days trying to figure out if it meant anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:WLRK was my first rejection in 2L OCI. I remember the line in their email "We will be happy to consider you for an associate position if you write to us again next fall." kept my mind running for a couple days trying to figure out if it meant anything.
The other sort of strange thing about them is that they do have stealth laterals, even though the myth around them is they don't take any. I got rejected from them, too, and never bother applied again after a few years in litigation/a clerkship, but I always wondered...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:13 pm

Any movement in LA?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Anyone done the Selendy & Gay interview case study exercise? What's it like etc.? Or any other impressions of the firm/interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm

Any more news on DC interviews/offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Seems like Kellogg is done. Haven't heard much from W&C. Wilkinson Walsh sent some letters to chambers and I know of two recent CBs there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any more news on DC interviews/offers?
I know of at least one Robbins Russell offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 am

Dinged at A&P DC. If nothing else I guess that means the hiring committee met.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 am

Sorry to hear that, but helpful to know. Was ding via email?

I don't understand why DC is such a ghost town. Seems other cities are moving much more quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hear that, but helpful to know. Was ding via email?

I don't understand why DC is such a ghost town. Seems other cities are moving much more quickly.
Seems like only a handful of boutiques and an even less amount of Big Law firms are moving at all. Perhaps there will be some type of "trickle down" once firms find out their expected associates are making a different move?

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:53 pm

All NYC - I know Patterson has been interviewing and giving out offers; Walden interviewing; RKO Interviewing. Don't know about offers on the latter two.

Would be curious about other NYC (and surrounding area) boutiques and people's stats for getting interviews/offers.

Also, has anyone applied to/interviewed with the securities class action plaintiffs' firms (NYC or elsewhere)? I'm thinking Bernstein Litowitz, Robbins Geller, etc.

Info on bonuses for these and the boutiques would be nice as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:57 am

Had a CB at Susman (Houston) a few weeks ago and never heard back. Any idea how long they normally take?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Anon-non-anon wrote:All NYC - I know Patterson has been interviewing and giving out offers; Walden interviewing; RKO Interviewing. Don't know about offers on the latter two.

Would be curious about other NYC (and surrounding area) boutiques and people's stats for getting interviews/offers.

Also, has anyone applied to/interviewed with the securities class action plaintiffs' firms (NYC or elsewhere)? I'm thinking Bernstein Litowitz, Robbins Geller, etc.

Info on bonuses for these and the boutiques would be nice as well.
Susman Godfrey either is done or almost done for NYC. Morvillo has interviewed made offers. Kaplan Hecker & Fink same. Molo same (has interviewed extensively since the beginning of the new year). Fross Zelnick same. WLRK same. Shapiro Arato has extended interviews, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm an URM coming out of a clerkship who recently had some interviews with pretty selective NY firms, including WLRK. Frankly, I was surprised to even receive the interview invite, because my grades, while good, and from a top law school, are not in WLRK's usual band. I got the rejection after the interview pretty quickly, even though I think my talks with their partners and associates went pretty well, even the substantive stuff about actual law WLRK interviews are known for. Do you guys think I was invited to interview just because of my URM status, so that they could say they interviewed URM people and care about diversity? Or would WLRK not bother doing something like that? Practically speaking, obviously, it makes no difference, and maybe I'm just not as impressive as their other candidates, but as I think about what happened, I would like to know why I was invited and went through that process. No one here will have the answer, but I'm curious for other people's thoughts/experiences.

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an URM coming out of a clerkship who recently had some interviews with pretty selective NY firms, including WLRK. Frankly, I was surprised to even receive the interview invite, because my grades, while good, and from a top law school, are not in WLRK's usual band. I got the rejection after the interview pretty quickly, even though I think my talks with their partners and associates went pretty well, even the substantive stuff about actual law WLRK interviews are known for. Do you guys think I was invited to interview just because of my URM status, so that they could say they interviewed URM people and care about diversity? Or would WLRK not bother doing something like that? Practically speaking, obviously, it makes no difference, and maybe I'm just not as impressive as their other candidates, but as I think about what happened, I would like to know why I was invited and went through that process. No one here will have the answer, but I'm curious for other people's thoughts/experiences.
With no real insider knowledge, it would not shock me to learn they relaxed typical grade requirements a bit figuring they'd give you a shot to blow their socks off in person, and if that did not happen, ding you. Also I could see the initial decision to bring you in being done by someone that cares a little less about grades given your clerkship experience, and then when the full committee of partners met, there were members who would not get over your grades, so gave you the ding regardless of how well your interviews went. There's also always the chance a few ppl just interviewed better, so even though yours went well, there's went great.

I doubt they would bring you in just to say they did, but it would not shock me if you were facing a steep uphill battle from the moment you walked in.

Just spitballing bc I want more activity on here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Anybody heard anything from Kirkland or Wilmer in DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:47 pm

Any recent offers from WLRK/Boies (NY)? If so, how long did it take to hear back after the interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any recent offers from WLRK/Boies (NY)? If so, how long did it take to hear back after the interview?
WLRK is usually pretty quick, you get either the acceptance or rejection within a week or two.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:42 am

Twiddling my thumbs waiting for D.C.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Also waiting on DC. Other than boutiques, it seems extremely and oddly quiet. I've made a list here of all the intel that's been posted on this thread. If anyone has updates or corrections, please add.

Boutiques
  • Kellogg: Reportedly done with offers (are we certain of this?)
    Robbins Russell: At least one offer
    Boies: Sent out some offers
    Wilkinson Walsh: Some CB extended, apparently some CBs already done
BigLaw
  • Gibson: At least one CB, at least one ding
    A&P: At least one ding, others reporting silence
    Latham: At least two CBs reported, silence also reported
    Cleary: CB reported, silence also reported
    W&C: Only silence reported so far
Major DC BigLaw with no intel so far
  • WilmerHale
    Kirkland & Ellils
    Covington
    Hogan
    Jones Day
    Sidley
    S&C
    Paul Weiss
    Paul Hastings
Not Taking Laterals This Year
  • Skadden (I was told this via someone in their Chicago office)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also waiting on DC. Other than boutiques, it seems extremely and oddly quiet. I've made a list here of all the intel that's been posted on this thread. If anyone has updates or corrections, please add.

Boutiques
  • Kellogg: Reportedly done with offers (are we certain of this?)
    Robbins Russell: At least one offer
    Boies: Sent out some offers
    Wilkinson Walsh: Some CB extended, apparently some CBs already done
BigLaw
  • Gibson: At least one CB, at least one ding
    A&P: At least one ding, others reporting silence
    Latham: At least two CBs reported, silence also reported
    Cleary: CB reported, silence also reported
    W&C: Only silence reported so far
Major DC BigLaw with no intel so far
  • WilmerHale
    Kirkland & Ellils
    Covington
    Hogan
    Jones Day
    Sidley
    S&C
    Paul Weiss
    Paul Hastings
Not Taking Laterals This Year
  • Skadden (I was told this via someone in their Chicago office)
I’m certain KH is done. Many of the biglaw firms you mentio have been doing Fed Cir recruitment events, too, so there’s that. What that means for the hiring of non-FC clerks, idk. But FC recruitment is on a slightly different schedule, from my understanding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:10 pm

How/as of what date are you certain KH is done? I heard they would make decisions within the next 2 weeks last week. Maybe they've done that and just haven't notified rejected applicants. So I'm curious of your source (to the extent you can share) and your degree of certainty.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”