2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Post-callback ding from Kellogg ~1 week after CB.
Ditto.
We didn't want the 175k anyways, right?

That $175K is legit. Figuring that up-front bonus in, does Kellogg Hansen pay more than WLRK? WLRK's bonus is a % of base, but gives no clerkship bonus up-front, and that % varies every year, so it could be like 40% of base. So for the first 1-2 years as an associate, Kellogg pays more, right?
My co-clerk is going to Wachtell, we're pretty sure WLRK would catch up the second bonus.
Sorry, by "catch up the second bonus" do you mean at WLRK the second bonus amount would most likely be large enough that the sum of the 2 years by the end would equal out to the sum of 2 years at KH? Or by "catch up" you mean there's room to negotiate your bonus at WLRK? I'm guessing you mean the first but jsut checking!

Yeah sorry, horribly phrased. I meant at the second bonus the WLRK associate would catch up and pass the KH one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I’m a DE/SDNY BK clerk and there has definitely been some movement—interviews and offers—in NY and Chicago at the bigger shops.
Anon from the previous page complaining about my experience with big firm HR. I can also confirm that at Kirkland (Chicago) at least has contacted people about setting up interviews, but they still haven't said anything about dates (to me) and it appears that some of my co-clerks are also having difficulty touching base with the recruiting folks as well. No idea what that's all about.
Has Kirkland Chicago given out offers for BK?
I know of at least two from SDNY/DE

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I know of at least two from SDNY/DE
I know they went on a pretty big hiring spree for restructuring last year, so does that mean they're more or less done for this year (just a couple of new associates)? Not sure that's a question that anyone here can answer without special/inside knowledge, but maybe someone knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I’m a DE/SDNY BK clerk and there has definitely been some movement—interviews and offers—in NY and Chicago at the bigger shops.
Anon from the previous page complaining about my experience with big firm HR. I can also confirm that at Kirkland (Chicago) at least has contacted people about setting up interviews, but they still haven't said anything about dates (to me) and it appears that some of my co-clerks are also having difficulty touching base with the recruiting folks as well. No idea what that's all about.
The offers that went out to the DE/SDNY clerks were for Kirkland's NYC office. I'm not aware of any offers among them for the Chicago office.

CS4

New

Post by CS4 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Has anyone heard of any movement in LA for screeners, callbacks, or offers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:56 pm

CS4 wrote:Has anyone heard of any movement in LA for screeners, callbacks, or offers?
Hueston screener a couple weeks ago, ding recently. That's the only LA firm I've heard anything from.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The offers that went out to the DE/SDNY clerks were for Kirkland's NYC office. I'm not aware of any offers among them for the Chicago office.
I have no idea if they are done hiring, but I have heard of a handful of offers going out from K&E Chicago for restructuring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:06 pm

How long did people wait to hear back from Susman after emailing their application? Does 10 days+ with no response mean ding?

Also, any movement with BSF? What are people's thoughts on BSF vs. traditional v10 lit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long did people wait to hear back from Susman after emailing their application? Does 10 days+ with no response mean ding?

Also, any movement with BSF? What are people's thoughts on BSF vs. traditional v10 lit?
I think they're at the tail end of their first-round interviews in NYC right now, if not already doing second-round CBs. Recently heard of offers going out already at one of their other offices.

Haven't heard of any movement with BSF. The clerkship bonus seems damn good though, and I have friends there who billed crazy hours as junior associates (think 2700+) and received 6 figure bonuses as a result last year. In and out of SDNY/Supreme Court, Commercial Div./DDC, all the time, too. Seems like a good place to litigate if you can stomach the slightly negative (and likely temporary) rep of BSF right now

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:25 pm

How’s NYC looking? I’ve interviewed with one V10 and have 2 more over the next two weeks. Curious to see if other people are seeing movement

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I have no idea if they are done hiring, but I have heard of a handful of offers going out from K&E Chicago for restructuring.
I feel like this doesn't bode well for folks who haven't heard back from HR (or heard anything at all, I guess)...hopefully someone else in Chicago is looking to hire bankruptcy clerks :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:How long did people wait to hear back from Susman after emailing their application? Does 10 days+ with no response mean ding?

Dinged at Susman about 2 weeks after emailing application, FWIW.

Magicon

New

Post by Magicon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 pm

State trial law clerk in New England. May not be relevant to clerks working in federal or appellate courts, but wanted some advice. Received an offer to work in a smallish-sized firm (about 20 attorneys) in a decent sized city (about 100,000 people) in New England. Insurance defense firm. 2000 billable hours and salary is $72,500 with various benefits (personal days, 401K, etc.). Wanted to gauge what anyone else's thoughts on whether I should accept. Thanks in advance!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How’s NYC looking? I’ve interviewed with one V10 and have 2 more over the next two weeks. Curious to see if other people are seeing movement
Just as another data point for people looking through this thread next year - also have 2 NYC interviews this week (smaller boutiques - but I didn't apply to large firms since I'm happy to return to my SA firm) - definitely feels like mid-lat Feb. is when firms are a bit more active since I sent the applications early this year / late last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Anyone hear from Jenner & Block or Kramer Levin? Both NYC

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like this doesn't bode well for folks who haven't heard back from HR (or heard anything at all, I guess)...hopefully someone else in Chicago is looking to hire bankruptcy clerks :?
And just like that, I can confirm that Kirkland is done hiring for restructuring this year! Not great that they strung along some candidates for a month or so, but the HR lady offered me lunch with one of the partners so that more than makes up for it. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Post-callback ding from Kellogg ~1 week after CB.
Ditto.

That $175K is legit. Figuring that up-front bonus in, does Kellogg Hansen pay more than WLRK? WLRK's bonus is a % of base, but gives no clerkship bonus up-front, and that % varies every year, so it could be like 40% of base. So for the first 1-2 years as an associate, Kellogg pays more, right?
My co-clerk is going to Wachtell, we're pretty sure WLRK would catch up the second bonus.
Sorry, by "catch up the second bonus" do you mean at WLRK the second bonus amount would most likely be large enough that the sum of the 2 years by the end would equal out to the sum of 2 years at KH? Or by "catch up" you mean there's room to negotiate your bonus at WLRK? I'm guessing you mean the first but jsut checking!

Yeah sorry, horribly phrased. I meant at the second bonus the WLRK associate would catch up and pass the KH one.
I'm actually not sure about this. The total after 2 years at KH (pre-tax) is $625K. That's cut and dry. The total after 2 years at WLRK is not going to be that high unless the year-end bonus (they don't give clerkship bonuses) is a VERY high percentage of the base. And that's not likely going to happen both years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Ditto.

I'm actually not sure about this. The total after 2 years at KH (pre-tax) is $625K. That's cut and dry. The total after 2 years at WLRK is not going to be that high unless the year-end bonus (they don't give clerkship bonuses) is a VERY high percentage of the base. And that's not likely going to happen both years.
Anon for obvious reasons. Can confirm that, at least twice (and possibly all years) in the last 4 years, bonus was 100%.

Clerks get prorated lockstep (ie, Same percentage of salary) pyear-end bonus from whenever they start. Assuming a September start date, the bonus ends up being 50 or 60ish, assuming a strong year for the firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Same anon. My understanding is that KH bonus gets paid over 3 (or 4?) installments over two years. More recent offerees can correct me if wrong. No idea what the normal year-end bonus is once you’re at the firm. Maybe someone else can chime in? Seems very lucrative, in any event.

For those who clerked 2x, even assuming 50% base bonus, KH would have to pay hefty year ends each year for two years (not including the fall of when you start) to make out better:

225+225+175=625
225+260+242.5 (assuming 50% bonus each calendar year, which would be really low from my multiple understanding, given recent trends and strong economy)= much more than 625. KH year ends would have to be six figures to be the same, id assume

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I feel like this doesn't bode well for folks who haven't heard back from HR (or heard anything at all, I guess)...hopefully someone else in Chicago is looking to hire bankruptcy clerks :?
And just like that, I can confirm that Kirkland is done hiring for restructuring this year! Not great that they strung along some candidates for a month or so, but the HR lady offered me lunch with one of the partners so that more than makes up for it. Thanks!
Chicago specifically or the firm in general? The people I've been reaching out to in the NY office haven't been as definitive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Chicago specifically or the firm in general? The people I've been reaching out to in the NY office haven't been as definitive.
I can only really confirm for Chicago, although someone earlier in the thread said some offers had gone out for NY as well? If they're not done yet, I'd imagine they're probably pretty close to being done.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Any info on what the DC market is looking like?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:47 am

My unofficial transcript doesn’t have my GPA. Should I use that or the OSCAR grade sheet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:36 pm

I know there's some movement in DC, but I don't know the scope. A partner at another big firm there told me they wouldn't really start looking at clerks until early spring. Not sure how common that is.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:45 pm

My offer from my summer firm lasted (unless extended) until March 1, which I believe was the NALP standard. Does it not seem odd that so many firms don't even try to extend offers before that date?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”