2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:41 am

For anyone who has accepted an offer during their clerkship (not 2L SA), did the firm offer to pay bar fees and expenses of a prep course, etc.?

i.e., LS grad -> Texas bar -> clerkship -> CA biglaw offer during clerkship -> CA bar during clerkship (did the CA firm pay for prep course?)

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who has accepted an offer during their clerkship (not 2L SA), did the firm offer to pay bar fees and expenses of a prep course, etc.?

i.e., LS grad -> Texas bar -> clerkship -> CA biglaw offer during clerkship -> CA bar during clerkship (did the CA firm pay for prep course?)
No first hand experience, but I have heard a couple of colleagues payed for the bar up-front and once they joined the firm they payed for the bar fees. But I think YMMV depending on what the judge is comfortable with.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone who has accepted an offer during their clerkship (not 2L SA), did the firm offer to pay bar fees and expenses of a prep course, etc.?

There are definitely firms that will cover those expenses, but if you are still clerking, you might want to check whether the firm can pay those expenses while you are clerking. I think there is some sort of advisory opinion out there saying that clerks should not accept clerkship bonuses until after they've finished their clerkship. The same may go for bar and prep course expenses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:47 pm

Anon above. Still clerking. I wouldn't' mind paying the cost up front with a reimbursement when I start. Thank you both!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:36 pm

You might check with your judge. My two judges allowed me to accept bar prep refunds even before I began clerking, given that I was also signing a return offer with that firm. In their view I would be screened anyway, and so it didn't matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You might check with your judge. My two judges allowed me to accept bar prep refunds even before I began clerking, given that I was also signing a return offer with that firm. In their view I would be screened anyway, and so it didn't matter.
Good call, I was thinking exactly that. I also understand I'm not asking for my bonus or stipend (if one exists) during the clerkship, just would like bar registration fees and prep expenses. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:59 pm

I got my first rejection today haha. Not too shocking, small satellite office that probably isn't going to hire anyone.

coramnonjudice

New

Post by coramnonjudice » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:21 am

I'm trying to decide how much detail needs to go into my resume regarding my clerkship. I'm trying to keep my resume to one page and there is a lot more information about my time as an associate that I want to include. I've heard some folks say you don't need to add any kind of description to your clerkship because people generally understand what it entails. Thoughts? Also, is there a good sample bank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Yeah, it’s really not necessary to put much about clerking unless there’s something unique about what you did (part time JA or something). My description was “researched federal and state law and drafted legal memoranda and orders.” I’m sure there are better ways to be even more concise, that’s just my example (I didn’t like to leave it completely blank because I thought it looked weird when everything else had a description, but you probably could without any problems. Or just put “term law clerk” or something).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Has anyone begun applying to NY BigLaw/boutique firms? Some have told me to wait until January to begin applying to firms, while others said that you should apply as soon as possible. Thoughts?

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, it’s really not necessary to put much about clerking unless there’s something unique about what you did (part time JA or something). My description was “researched federal and state law and drafted legal memoranda and orders.” I’m sure there are better ways to be even more concise, that’s just my example (I didn’t like to leave it completely blank because I thought it looked weird when everything else had a description, but you probably could without any problems. Or just put “term law clerk” or something).
I think leaving out any description is the credited response (and if you did serve as a part-time JA, why would you ever put that in?). Only exception would be if you were applying to some nontraditional job where they won't know what a clerk does. Law firms and lawyers know what clerks do and respect it. Save the room on your resume for other stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:22 am

How do you go about applying to firms where your friends work? Does the friend submit the app. for you, or do you apply as you normally would and ask the friend to give the recruiter a heads up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:How do you go about applying to firms where your friends work? Does the friend submit the app. for you, or do you apply as you normally would and ask the friend to give the recruiter a heads up?
I've heard of people doing both, but I'd ask what your friend is comfortable doing. I applied to a firm where I knew a few people, and they decided that me applying as normal and then them emailing recruiting a heads up was the best strategy. I've heard about people at other firms though sending in a person's resume to recruiting. I'd ask your friends what they're comfortable doing. They probably know the recruiters and what the best method would be

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Is "market" for two fed clerkships (dist and coa) 70k?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is "market" for two fed clerkships (dist and coa) 70k?
It's Cravath's going rate at least https://www.cravath.com/benefits/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:50 am

When do firms usually hold receptions for judicial clerks?

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:18 pm

How specific do we have to be in our resumes/cover letters when we're applying now for jobs that don't specify if they're immediate? Got my first interview invite today (for a boutique), but fell through when I brought up my clerkship was ending past their intended hiring date. My cover letter says the month my clerkship is ending, and my resume has my start date/year ending in "Present". Do I have to put something like, "Month 2018 - Expected Month 2019"? I thought I was clear, but maybe I'm wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:When do firms usually hold receptions for judicial clerks?
Do they do this? I would think there would be conflict issues with going to firm receptions while you're actually clerking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Do they do this? I would think there would be conflict issues with going to firm receptions while you're actually clerking.
There is an epidemic in the legal community, especially among young lawyers, of thinking that everything is a conflict. This is not remotely a conflicts issue. The legal world is very social, very chummy, but this does not mean people are unable to ethically execute their responsibilities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
There is an epidemic in the legal community, especially among young lawyers, of thinking that everything is a conflict. This is not remotely a conflicts issue. The legal world is very social, very chummy, but this does not mean people are unable to ethically execute their responsibilities.
Okay. So do you know when firms hold receptions for clerks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Okay. So do you know when firms hold receptions for clerks?
Typically, December and January. Maybe a few in November and February as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm in Wilmington, we've had 4 so far in November. It's not that big a market so I'm only expecting about 4-5 more at most. I know one is going to happen in late January. I didn't get any invites for December.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone begun applying to NY BigLaw/boutique firms? Some have told me to wait until January to begin applying to firms, while others said that you should apply as soon as possible. Thoughts?
I don't think there's much harm in applying early (and then maybe following up in January if no response). I've sent out some apps (I'm not really unhappy with my summer offer so not doing too many).

Most haven't responded at all. One sent me a rejection and Patterson replied with "we will be back in touch next month."

Another note is that my school's career services forwarded an email from Cravath implying to apply now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm in Wilmington, we've had 4 so far in November. It's not that big a market so I'm only expecting about 4-5 more at most. I know one is going to happen in late January. I didn't get any invites for December.
District or chancery?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
District or chancery?
Supreme :) But we all get invited to the same things.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”