2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Now, firms generally prefer true laterals rather than clerks because they like candidates to have previous private practice experience. But as things progress they will start dipping further into the clerk pool. Have faith. When I was coming out of my clerkship people didn't start getting offers until summer. Most landed their gigs in late summer.
Do you mean bankruptcy clerks specifically? Or clerks generally? If its late summer for clerks generally (I'm a COA clerk) that's kind of annoying. I have a few offers now but really want to hear back from a few other firms before making a decision. They've been flexible so far but I can't imagine they would wait for me to "hopefully hear" from other firms all the way into the summer, especially the end of summer.
I'm referring to bankruptcy specifically. I have no idea what the landscape is like for people coming from other courts.

yooobagz

New

Post by yooobagz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote: NYC restructuring associate (and former SDNY/DE clerk) checking in. Are you talking about non-NYC markets? If so - yes those places are slow because the market is so consolidated in NYC. Virtually all big bankruptcy business goes to NYC. Further, the restructuring lateral market is on fire in NYC right now - there is a lot of bankruptcy work and everyone is bulking up in anticipation of the coming recession. Lots of firms are hiring.

Now, firms generally prefer true laterals rather than clerks because they like candidates to have previous private practice experience. But as things progress they will start dipping further into the clerk pool. Have faith. When I was coming out of my clerkship people didn't start getting offers until summer. Most landed their gigs in late summer.
Sorry, you're absolutely right and I should have specified - I'm looking for restructuring gigs outside of New York. Just looking at a lot of the job postings online for restructuring associates, NYC definitely does seem like a hot market.

That's good to hear that things will open up a bit for restructuring associate positions as the year progresses. I'm not super worried at this point, but it's good to hear from someone who has been through it that there are (possibly) impending openings coming up as the lateral market dries up.

And it's funny, I met with a couple of restructuring partners at a firm I would've really liked to have worked at today who kind of mentioned the same thing regarding wanting true laterals. I was introduced through an alum connection working at another firm, so I got the impression this was never going to be a full fledged interview, but it was quite funny when it got to the point that they mentioned they weren't really looking for someone junior, but that I should keep in touch when I have a few years of firm experience under my belt. It's like, thank you for your time, I'll be sure to check back with you in *looking at watch* three calendar years, lol

If you don't mind my asking, do you see laterals coming from lower ranked/less prestigious restructuring groups to better shops? There's a few firms in my city that I would like to look at due to the type of work that's done, etc., but if a higher ranked firm won't look at a lateral from a V50-ish firm, then I'll have to think a little bit harder about the future (which is to say, think about it at all, as 3+ years of work just to lateral is so beyond my scope of thought at this point, haha).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also waiting on DC. Other than boutiques, it seems extremely and oddly quiet. I've made a list here of all the intel that's been posted on this thread. If anyone has updates or corrections, please add.

Boutiques
  • Kellogg: Reportedly done with offers (are we certain of this?)
    Robbins Russell: At least one offer
    Boies: Sent out some offers
    Wilkinson Walsh: Some CB extended, apparently some CBs already done
BigLaw
  • Gibson: At least one CB, at least one ding
    A&P: At least one ding, others reporting silence
    Latham: At least two CBs reported, silence also reported
    Cleary: CB reported, silence also reported
    W&C: Only silence reported so far
Major DC BigLaw with no intel so far
  • WilmerHale
    Kirkland & Ellils
    Covington
    Hogan
    Jones Day
    Sidley
    S&C
    Paul Weiss
    Paul Hastings
Not Taking Laterals This Year
  • Skadden (I was told this via someone in their Chicago office)
This is still accurate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also waiting on DC. Other than boutiques, it seems extremely and oddly quiet. I've made a list here of all the intel that's been posted on this thread. If anyone has updates or corrections, please add.

Boutiques
BigLaw
  • WilmerHale
    Kirkland & Ellils
    Covington
    Hogan
    Jones Day
    Sidley
    S&C
    Paul Weiss
    Paul Hastings
This is still accurate.
It's starting to drive me nuts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:16 am

I thought someone said Wilmer was reaching out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I thought someone said Wilmer was reaching out.
Yes, Wilmer is reaching out someone on here said. Although only one report of that so far, and that person had top stats. Curious if anyone else who has received an interview offer would be willing to share their general stats?

I anecdotally know of several Latham DC offers and one Gibson DC offer, so the list is out of date as to those two firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 am

[quote="Anonymous User"][quote="Anonymous User"]I thought someone said Wilmer was reaching out.[/quote]

Yes, Wilmer is reaching out someone on here said. Although only one report of that so far, and that person had top stats. Curious if anyone else who has received an interview offer would be willing to share their general stats?

I anecdotally know of several Latham DC offers and one Gibson DC offer, so the list is out of date as to those two firms.[/quote]

Sure. What particular info?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I anecdotally know of several Latham DC offers and one Gibson DC offer, so the list is out of date as to those two firms.
School (or, school grouping), approximate grades/class rank, circuit or circuit grouping?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Boutiques
BigLaw
  • WilmerHale
    Kirkland & Ellils
    Covington
    Hogan
    Jones Day
    Sidley
    S&C
    Paul Weiss
    Paul Hastings
This is still accurate.
It's starting to drive me nuts.
Likewise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

School (or, school grouping), approximate grades/class rank, circuit or circuit grouping?
Apologies, misread. No info on Wilmer DC specifically.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Yes, Wilmer is reaching out someone on here said. Although only one report of that so far, and that person had top stats. Curious if anyone else who has received an interview offer would be willing to share their general stats?
Interesting distinction to make, but here's hoping.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Apologies, misread. No info on Wilmer DC specifically.
Any info on anything is good!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:23 pm

How would you all compare BSF to S&C? Have open offers from both and no further interviews. Coming off a fed clerkship and obviously want to litigate. Seems like BSF will mean more hands-on responsibility and higher bonuses. But also more hours and harder to take time off, since fewer people to cover? Are exit options better at BSF for government or in-house work?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:26 pm

Well, I just learned in the other thread that BSF (presumably NYC office) has an onsite barista. So that makes the choice obvious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How would you all compare BSF to S&C? Have open offers from both and no further interviews. Coming off a fed clerkship and obviously want to litigate. Seems like BSF will mean more hands-on responsibility and higher bonuses. But also more hours and harder to take time off, since fewer people to cover? Are exit options better at BSF for government or in-house work?
Boies, no question. Brutal hours for brutally high bonuses vs brutal hours for standard bonuses and less varied work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How would you all compare BSF to S&C? Have open offers from both and no further interviews. Coming off a fed clerkship and obviously want to litigate. Seems like BSF will mean more hands-on responsibility and higher bonuses. But also more hours and harder to take time off, since fewer people to cover? Are exit options better at BSF for government or in-house work?
Boies, no question. Brutal hours for brutally high bonuses vs brutal hours for standard bonuses and less varied work.
How do BSF's bonuses rack up in comparison to other small firms like Susman, Kellogg, or KVN? It is all just depends-on-year and firm performance, so that it's volatile? If so, I can see going with S&C for more stability. Also the "brutal" hours at S&C aren't going to be as "brutal" as BSF.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How do BSF's bonuses rack up in comparison to other small firms like Susman, Kellogg, or KVN? It is all just depends-on-year and firm performance, so that it's volatile? If so, I can see going with S&C for more stability. Also the "brutal" hours at S&C aren't going to be as "brutal" as BSF.
BSF is below Susman, I wasn't able to find solid info on Kellogg bonuses (beyond the 175k clerk bonus) I think they are above market but not dramatically so (their base is higher though), KVN pays basically market I believe. BSF probably fluctuates, but I doubt it's ever going to be below S&C, so stability isn't really the proper consideration. I think overall BSF is well above market, and only below a few firms (Susman, WLRK, etc.).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:29 pm

Any more news from DC firms this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Auxilio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BSF is below Susman, I wasn't able to find solid info on Kellogg bonuses (beyond the 175k clerk bonus) I think they are above market but not dramatically so (their base is higher though), KVN pays basically market I believe. BSF probably fluctuates, but I doubt it's ever going to be below S&C, so stability isn't really the proper consideration. I think overall BSF is well above market, and only below a few firms (Susman, WLRK, etc.).
Source for claim that "BSF is below Susman"? I'm an NYC lawyer and can confirm that, at least in this city, BSF associates' annual bonuses generally beat Susman bonuses, but both firms' annual bonuses are probably close enough to make the difference trivial for someone considering both firms. Susman's clerkship bonuses beat BSF's, which I believe are still at the market level.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Just based on publicly disseminated info alone, Boies was higher than Susman in terms of compensation last year. Susman NYC associates work ~2600+, as do many Boies associates, and I think both shops offered low to mid-six figures for c/o 2017 who hit around those hours.

I interviewed with both shops and have at least two friends who received 200k+ at Boies NYC last year in c/o 2017 and 2016. I think susman is much more stable re crazy comp tho. Boies’s Bonuses seemed more like a “sorry for the bad press’s gift from David IMO than something sustainable. But whonknowsb

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:05 am

Due to my judge's conflicts / interviewing policy, I was not able to send out applications to the few small firms I am interested in applying to until now. Do you guys think it's too late / pointless to apply to firms like BSF now (for a start date sometime later this year)? I emailed recruiting at BSF to ask this question, but got no response.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Due to my judge's conflicts / interviewing policy, I was not able to send out applications to the few small firms I am interested in applying to until now. Do you guys think it's too late / pointless to apply to firms like BSF now (for a start date sometime later this year)? I emailed recruiting at BSF to ask this question, but got no response.
Its never pointless to apply to firms. You never know. Don’t let any anonymous users on a random internet site tell you otherwise. Clerk hiring can be idiosyncratic!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:46 pm

Got an offer from GDC Dallas today, which is a week and a half after I interviewed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:52 pm

Any news from Chicago? It seems absolutely barren right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Chicago? It seems absolutely barren right now.
I have (actually) bad credentials compared to most of the people on this thread, but I've had callbacks (and a third round) for a small, niche practice area at a V50-ish firm and a more general, commercial lit role at the satellite office of a V75-ish firm that's looking to expand.

I have been dinged from Jenner (through their generic clerk portal) and Latham (applied to a specific posting). Otherwise, I agree that it is absolutely silent AFAIK. I get the impression that the Kirkland/Skadden/Sidleys of the world are either done hiring or are not looking to add very many clerks this cycle (a problem either way, I guess).

One thing that may be a little controversial to say on here, from my experience thus far, is that you shouldn't necessarily hesitate to reach out to a recruiter. There seem to be quite a few in Chicago who are willing to work with clerks, which isn't always the case, based on what I've read on TLS. Maybe when/if it comes time for a firm to make an offer and whatever bonus they want to offer me is smaller than it otherwise would be, I'll be a little miffed. But, I don't have traditional big law credentials, and even making it this far into the process (with help from recruiters in a couple of instances) has been worthwhile in my book.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”