2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:28 pm

LA is finally moving a bit (well, at least the lower V50 and a few more boutiques/established midlaw), I think MTO and the other top firms have probably moved but they're above my knowledge. Had an interview with a lower V50, clicked with everyone except the most important, the practice head so probably a ding. Guess bright side is, why would I want to work for someone I don't really mesh well with? Anyway, hopefully LA is being kinder to other folks. Two more interviews coming up with boutique/midlaw but overall starting to get a tad worried.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:56 pm

DC? Anyone? Has there really been no more movement at all???

cpjd

New

Post by cpjd » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:12 pm

I've had pretty good luck with offers post (local circuit court) clerkship, with an offer at a federal agency in DC and a role as an investigator elsewhere. However, I am a bit of an anomaly, as I have a prior career and military experience, both of which seem to help immensely.

I can't speak to the value of a private sector job post-clerkship, as I've honestly not delved into it much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:15 pm

I applied to some and didn't to others but curious to hear thoughts on whether someone from DE Chancery or DE/CA/NY SSC should apply to a job they want that specifies federal clerks only.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:40 pm

Is it worthwhile sending an application to a recruiting contact at a firm with no relevant job openings in the office you're applying to, especially if the website keeps reiterating that you should "apply through the online portal"?

Also, if you're clerking in a niche court (tax/bankruptcy or even magistrate to a certain extent), is it worthwhile applying to a litigation position that's outside of your wheelhouse? Like, would applying for junior positions in labor & employment or privacy be a total waste of time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also waiting on DC. Other than boutiques, it seems extremely and oddly quiet. I've made a list here of all the intel that's been posted on this thread. If anyone has updates or corrections, please add.

Boutiques
  • Kellogg: Reportedly done with offers (are we certain of this?)
    Robbins Russell: At least one offer
    Boies: Sent out some offers
    Wilkinson Walsh: Some CB extended, apparently some CBs already done
BigLaw
  • Gibson: At least one CB, at least one ding
    A&P: At least one ding, others reporting silence
    Latham: At least two CBs reported, silence also reported
    Cleary: CB reported, silence also reported
    W&C: Only silence reported so far
Major DC BigLaw with no intel so far
  • WilmerHale
    Kirkland & Ellils
    Covington
    Hogan
    Jones Day
    Sidley
    S&C
    Paul Weiss
    Paul Hastings
Not Taking Laterals This Year
  • Skadden (I was told this via someone in their Chicago office)
Boutiques
Kellogg - all intel says they're done
Boies - offers out
Wilkinson Walsh - potentially some CBs still ongoing or done
W&C - all intel says they're done

Yes. Pretty certain.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also waiting on DC. Other than boutiques, it seems extremely and oddly quiet. I've made a list here of all the intel that's been posted on this thread. If anyone has updates or corrections, please add.

Boutiques
  • Kellogg: Reportedly done with offers (are we certain of this?)
    Robbins Russell: At least one offer
    Boies: Sent out some offers
    Wilkinson Walsh: Some CB extended, apparently some CBs already done
BigLaw
  • Gibson: At least one CB, at least one ding
    A&P: At least one ding, others reporting silence
    Latham: At least two CBs reported, silence also reported
    Cleary: CB reported, silence also reported
    W&C: Only silence reported so far
Major DC BigLaw with no intel so far
  • WilmerHale
    Kirkland & Ellils
    Covington
    Hogan
    Jones Day
    Sidley
    S&C
    Paul Weiss
    Paul Hastings
Not Taking Laterals This Year
  • Skadden (I was told this via someone in their Chicago office)
Boutiques
Kellogg - all intel says they're done
Boies - offers out
Wilkinson Walsh - potentially some CBs still ongoing or done
W&C - all intel says they're done

Yes. Pretty certain.
This is helpful. Thanks!

Do you (or anyone else) have any intel on the bigger offices? We know Wilmer has done some interviews, but do we know anything about the other offices? Surely firms like Hogan and Covington and Jones Day and Sidley must have done some interviews, right? They have huge DC offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:15 pm

The intel on W&C may not be right. They are now in the process of “checking in” with former summer associates to see if they’re returning and have given others through April to decide. Although they expect to lose like half of their summers post clerkship and hire accordingly, I’d imagine that they MAY hire more if they find that they’ve lost more former summers than they planned for. Or maybe more will return than they expected. Who knows? But surely not W&C at this time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:17 pm

BSF is still interviewing circuit clerks (not to the exclusion of d.ct., just saying that I know circuit clerks are still being interviewed as of this week and next).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:45 pm

Bleh, first interview led to first ding (at least my other interview today went extremely well I think...at least for the lead partner, which matters the most). Had the same problem during 2L OCI...it's always the ONE person I don't click with out of whoever I interview with that day that screws me over. Yeah, I know it's about fit, but you're telling me they expect EVERYONE at the firm to be best buds?

I know it's just my first interview/rejection but still frustrating. Reminds me of all the times I was so close to getting a big law offer during 2L CBs and I could just never close because of that one interviewer of five people that didn't hit it off with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Has anyone heard anything recently from Selendy & Gay? Or know how long they have taken this cycle from CB -> offer?

They're basically my last open firm. I interviewed over three weeks ago and they to wait at least two weeks, but losing hope. I don't even mind being dinged but I want to commit to other option if so and start going through apartments etc. on slow days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:29 pm

Has anyone heard anything recently from Selendy & Gay? Or know how long they have taken this cycle from CB -> offer?

They're basically my last open firm. I interviewed over three weeks ago and they to wait at least two weeks, but losing hope. I don't even mind being dinged but I want to commit to other option if so and start going through apartments etc. on slow days.
They may be waiting to hear back from people they've offered to, who are themselves waiting to hear back from other firms. It's a vicious cycle. I know KH is in a similar position (waiting on whether to give more offers because waiting on current offerees to accept or not.).

Anon-non-anon

Bronze

Post by Anon-non-anon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They may be waiting to hear back from people they've offered to, who are themselves waiting to hear back from other firms. It's a vicious cycle. I know KH is in a similar position (waiting on whether to give more offers because waiting on current offerees to accept or not.).

Any more info on KH? Curious what the process was like, etc. I have another year to go in my clerkship but trying to plan for next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Sidley, NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Sidley, NY?
Dan?

DrPangloss

New

Post by DrPangloss » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Sidley, NY?
Dan?
Dad?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 am

Anyone have info on MTO LA?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have info on MTO LA?
No news here, also wondering. They pretty much lead the clerk hiring market in LA (they hire like 12 or so non-former-SA clerks per year according to NALP), so if they haven't moved then it could explain why things are so slow now. (That said, I will have had 3 big law interviews in the last 3 weeks, but silence on 2 of them).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Any more movement in Chicago?

ConfusedNYer

New

Post by ConfusedNYer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:48 am

Just wanted to add a note (probably more useful for clerks looking through this thread next year than current clerks due to the timing, but whatever.)

I saw the question of using a recruiter pop up for clerks a bunch and I actually ended up using a recruiter to find my post-clerkship gig this term.

I will say I don't think they're useful for people trying to go to a large firm or a firm that 100% hires a new batch of clerks every year where you can probably plan your own application strategy, but they were useful at targetting some of smaller, less known (but still strong) boutiquey type places. I got the sense that hiring was much more driven by specific needs at those places, and having someone who was more aware of their specific needs and timeline helped.

Which is to say, they may be worth considering as a supplemental tool in certain situations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 am

Already been dinged at Latham, Skadden, and Jenner in Chicago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Any more DC movement? Does anyone know of any changes to the list posted here previously?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No news here, also wondering. They pretty much lead the clerk hiring market in LA (they hire like 12 or so non-former-SA clerks per year according to NALP), so if they haven't moved then it could explain why things are so slow now. (That said, I will have had 3 big law interviews in the last 3 weeks, but silence on 2 of them).
Can confirm multiple CBs, rejections, and at least one offer at MTO LA.

Anyone else hearing news out of other LA shops?

yooobagz

New

Post by yooobagz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Already been dinged at Latham, Skadden, and Jenner in Chicago.
Damn, sorry to hear that. I imagine the data is probably accurate, but just looking at the post-clerkship hiring grid info on NALP, these three firms (three of the largest in the market) have taken on an average of fewer then 15 clerks each year combined, with many of them being former summers anyway. That's a) kind of NUTS to think about and b) discouraging for sure.

I'll add a data point, as well. I'm a non-DE/SDNY bankruptcy clerk. I was not an outstanding law school student, nor did I attend a T14. I accepted an offer today from a market-paying V100 firm in Chicago as a commercial litigation associate (the firm is a satellite office, but I have very strong ties to the City). It's not exactly "V10 or bust" but I'm very, very happy to be off the market, especially since I did not think I would end up in biglaw anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Can confirm multiple CBs, rejections, and at least one offer at MTO LA.

Anyone else hearing news out of other LA shops?
Know of HH and MTO callbacks and offers. Both as of a few months ago now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”