When to check in after COA interview Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

When to check in after COA interview

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 am

I had a COA interview in early July and Judge said I'd likely hear back by August. Still haven't heard back. Would now be an appropriate time to email current clerk asking for an updated timeline?

Anonymous User

Re: When to check in after COA interview

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a COA interview in early July and Judge said I'd likely hear back by August. Still haven't heard back. Would now be an appropriate time to email current clerk asking for an updated timeline?
Where (1) X represents the time you should check in; (2) Y represents the time that your interviewer told you that you can expect to hear back; and (3) Z is a positive integer greater than 0; a simple equation for checking back is as follows:

X = Y + Z

In this instance, Y equals “August”

Thus, X equals sometime after August

Hope this helps! (But in all seriousness, congrats on the interview and wait a little)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 am

Original poster here.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a COA interview in early July and Judge said I'd likely hear back by August. Still haven't heard back. Would now be an appropriate time to email current clerk asking for an updated timeline?
Where (1) X represents the time you should check in; (2) Y represents the time that your interviewer told you that you can expect to hear back; and (3) Z is a positive integer greater than 0; a simple equation for checking back is as follows:

X = Y + Z

In this instance, Y equals “August”

Thus, X equals sometime after August

Hope this helps! (But in all seriousness, congrats on the interview and wait a little)
Haha! I appreciate the humor and I think it points to a lack of clarity in my first post. "By August" I was refering to "by the start of August" so that X would equal August 1 or 2. I emphasized the "likely" in my original post to clarify that it was a soft timeline.

Regardless, you are right. I'm in a pretty privileged position having scored an interview in the first place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:13 pm

If it was a judge on the 6th, I think I interviewed with the same judge, and I also haven't heard anything. I had just written it off and assumed I didn't get the job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:49 pm

What if a judge vaguely told you that you’d hear “very, very soon,” and several weeks later, silence?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What if a judge vaguely told you that you’d hear “very, very soon,” and several weeks later, silence?
Why would anyone be able to give an answer to this without knowing who the judge was? It could mean just about anything. If you haven't heard back in a month, check in with the JA.

New

Post by 20181989 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 pm

The correct answer here, and to all questions re: following up on an employment interview, is: when you have a reason to need a decision.

If you have an exploding offer from another employer, you may and should inform the judge (or firm, or [ __ ]) of that fact. If you have an upcoming interview with another judge, such that you may shortly thereafter face an exploding offer, you may and should inform the judge of that fact.

Otherwise, any followup should read, essentially, "Had a great time chatting. Need anything else?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”